[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What items do you forbid?

What items do you forbid?

All things Desktop Dungeons

What items do you forbid?

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:25 pm

_Finally_ nailed Warlord Gold and got my second slot for forbids and...I have no idea what to put in it. My first slot is Bloody Sigil, because it comes up useful so rarely I don't find it being around to be worthwhile. Maybe I should let it out for conversion bait purposes, though.

My next guess is Rock Heart. I grab it once in awhile, but the benefit is minimal even when I'm doing a KB/PISORF focused character. It doesn't even make terribly good conversion fodder. I'd drop Spoon in there, but there's a lot of times at level 1/2 that one damage can make a difference and it's a small slot and one gold. I'm planning on getting at least four forbid slots from all the Gold challenges and most of the stuff that was utter crap during the beta got made at least marginally useful, so it's hard to decide what to forbid. Blue Bead probably only helps out half the times I see it, but that's not bad at all.
Wargasm

Re: What items do you forbid?

Postby lolQuaff on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:40 pm

The spoon! I know it's just 1 gold but I feel like it's a wasted shop option whenever it pops up. I only have one veto unfortunately.

Bloody sigil is awesome I think, even just for the conversion fodder. It's 8 gold for 45cp I think. That's huge. Also, I'll almost always buy it and use it if I have a regen-fighting focused run going.
lolQuaff

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Well, most of the best conversion fodders are at least 3:1 ratio on CP per GP. Rock Heart is 2:1, which is pretty meh. Whurrgarbl is a good choice to forbid. I never use that thing, but I rarely see it pop up. Health Pendant is also 2:1, and I generally prefer the Troll Heart, especially since its conversion is over 4:1. I might do the Mana Pendant too, as it's also 2:1 and I'd be better with Mage Plate, Elven Boots, Crystal Ball or Dragon Soul basically every time, possibly even Blue Bead.

So looks like I'll probably do Wurrgarbl, Health/Mana Pendant, and Rock Heart, then maybe worry about other stuff if/when I buy the other three slots. Locker slots will come first though.
Wargasm

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Rock Heart is 14 GP for 60 CP, a 4.3:1 ratio. This makes it one of the best conversion fodder items in the game.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:06 pm

I wrote a conversion fodder section into the items page of the wiki. I think Balanced Dagger has changed since then, so I'm scumming for its current values and will edit them in if they're above 3:1.

EDIT:
Found it! It's 12 for 44, giving it a 3.67 ratio. That puts it fairly high on the list.
Last edited by Darvin on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby lolQuaff on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:09 pm

I find whrrgarble very effective in burn popping situations against death protection enemies.
lolQuaff

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:12 pm

That's...bizarre. I just had one two runs ago and I'd swear in a court of law it converted for 30cp. I can only guess I must have moved the cursor to highlight it, accidentally highlighted something else by a miniscule margin, and saw the wrong CP value. I'll look at the next one long and hard. 14gp's not a bad price for conversion fodder, especially being one gold short of a Schadenfreude potion.

And yeah, Troll Heart's 55 for 16, looks like. I thought it was 65 too. Or maybe the Wiki's off. Whurrgarbl's also 3:1. Hrm. Gloves of Midas are 4.5:1 making it one of the best actually purchasable conversion fodders.

Well, the Health and Mana Pendants are still going and I'm not entirely sold on Whurrgarbl, as it's 45:15 and if I have 15 gold I can afford Schadenfreude unless I've already gotten one. On the other hand, conversion fodder is nice, especially if I start doing Goatperson...

Guh. Decisions.
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons