[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What items do you forbid?

What items do you forbid?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What items do you forbid?

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Hmm... I generally veto piercing wand (unveto when necessary), pendant of health (it's so meh), spoon (a waste of a shop), rock heart (Viper Ward and Soul Orb make for good enough conversion fodder and are actually useful), Mage Plate (unless heavy spellcaster), balanced dagger (unless purist vicious vicious), and then I leave my last one up in the air to be changed based on my strategy for my current run.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Darvin

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah, I know the approximate value of both Pendants, it's just that if I'm counting on potions as my main MP restores, I'm generally going with JJ or MA and increasing my max to 15 or higher anyhow. I do occasionally snag the Health Pendant on a L1 Rogue, but that's usually a sign of a run that's going to go bad anyhow. Yeah, you have to snag the Troll Heart fairly early to get its full value, but then the optimal use of the Health Pendant is also early, just for different situations. Although one could successfully argue that the Health Pendant might help you _make_ it to L2 in the first place, but then one could counter that if you're going to see one or the other late game, the Heart's conversion value is slightly over 150% of the Pendant's for only one gold more.

Decisions blow. :/
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:02 pm

@Darvin: Troll heart used to be 75 +1 HP. Then we discovered the CP monster strats, and it was buffed to give +2 HP but had 45 CP. Then it was buffed to 55. I wasn't sure if it got nerfed to 55 and buffed to 65, it's all.

Health pendant is also really good* on Bloodmages, and I would've discovered this earlier had I not been keeping it in my forbiden locker. And +10 health on VT runs can make the difference between playable and unplayable. And extra health on a Rogue is not something to be dismissed. The biggest difference between it and the heart is the item slot, that's it.

Mana pendant is very good if found early since it means 2 fireballs without having to explore for mana boosters.

*Massive understatement there. The possibility of exploring this is why it insn't in my forbiden slot right now.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:07 pm

So basically the only agreements being come to are Spoon and Mage Plate (and I find Mage Plate pretty darn useful when it's not spawning for melee characters - +5 max MP is downright insane sometimes, especially if you're not intending on attacking a boss physically anyhow.)
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Spoon and piercing wand pretty much, as long as you're not doing challenges / VGT.

Those slots are not for putting stuff in them pemanently, or rather, you can't really justify doing it as everything is usefull under the right circumstances. You'll get more of what you're looking for if you tailor them to a specific task or theme.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:10 pm

The only item I have veto'd is the Fabulous Treasure :lol:

I'm thinking of adding the Mass09 Ledger and the Titan's Guitar to my veto slots, though.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:15 pm

:lol: Can you in fact move something from the veto slots to the locker?

Oh, you can also pobably safely forbid the Heros Helm, IMO.
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:29 pm

They did, it's a glyph called Byceppss. It even bumps your damage nicely.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons