You sold the Vampire Fangs for 150 gold!

All things Desktop Dungeons

You sold the Vampire Fangs for 150 gold!

Postby OneMoreNameless on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:49 am

Does anybody else think the mostly copy/paste nature of Vicious Steel and lack of unique reward makes it feel kind of lackluster and an outlier to the other more interesting vicious dungeons? I mean, Vicious Gaan-Telet can probably get away with it because it is portrayed as the ultimate hardcore bonus challenge and you sort of need the easier variant for most players to ever finish the 'win the game purist' quest. But Halls of Steel was kind of just a regular dungeon so the special treatment for it seems more like the devs just ran out of ideas at the last minute or something. But then you already have one unique vicious dungeon for each compass direction, so ... why does it even exist, honestly?

In other news, Halfling Priests can really keep kicking a while even after blowing 95% of their blackspace failing to level up and then needing Chaos Avatar just to fight the first boss.
OneMoreNameless

Re: You sold the Vampire Fangs for 150 gold!

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 am

I think that VHoS was one of the first Vicious dungeons added, maybe even the first. It's not so much that they ran out of ideas, but rather that VHoS was the experimental prototype of a new idea.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:35 pm

VHoS is a bit of an oddity, like a weird vestigial limb from the early days of the beta. It breaks the normal progression structure that's otherwise mirrored on north/south/west, it's not structured like other vicious scenarios, it's the only level (aside from Gaan-Telet) that's a higher-difficulty variant of another level. But despite all that, it works.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:02 pm

I would quite like the Vicious dungeons to have some sort of bonus reward (even if it's just gold, or an extra locker slot for 18 classes or something) for more completion. Especially Namtar's and DL, since they don't have a three class unlock. That said, I do like VHOS - I think it's really good for the variety of the lategame to have a Vicious dungeon that doesn't really have any gimmicks or tricks or extra resources or stuff.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:23 pm

You guys do know you get a 200 gold bonus for winning a vicious dungeon, right?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Well yeah, but I'd like a flat bonus for completing the two without quests with 3 classes so there's more motivation to try different things on them.
Blovski

Return to Desktop Dungeons