[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Why am I so bad at the Labyrinth?

Why am I so bad at the Labyrinth?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Why am I so bad at the Labyrinth?

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I mean I've gotten through it with Fighter, Berserker, Warlord, Rogue, and Wizard. I'm at 7/10 badges, missing Faithless, Purist, and Feeling Parched. But I seem absolutely unable to do anything new on it. Mostly attempts fall into three categories;

1) I do not get ENDISWAL and I get to a point where every revealed monster will either kill me, or killing it will corner me with Rex.

2) I do get ENDISWAL, but then the monsters are laid out in such a way that I can't get to the ones 1-2 levels above me without using up a lot of resources on removing walls while letting hp regen go to waste. I end up without enough resources to get rid of two bosses. Rex almost always demands all my mana potions, so if Bleaty or Goo shows up, I am pretty much boned.

3) I get ENDISWAL, but then accidentally trip over Rex before he reveals himself, getting me cornered and smooshed even quicker.

PISORF/Bear Mace help to some extents on some tries, but on others, the mace causes more problems than it solves because it's knocking enemies into fog at low levels where that little bit of regen hurts me more than helps me since I'm going after higher level targets. I've tried Monk, Assassin, Vampire, Gorgon, Half-Dragon...

I mean old Rex was a terrible joke but I sort of find myself missing him or someone more like him. I feel like he got a tad overbuffed but no one else ever seems to complain about him so I must just be terrible around him.
Wargasm

Re: Why am I so bad at the Labyrinth?

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Are we talking preps or no preps?

No preps - no idea. Preps - there's a few things you can do to completely nullify anything about that dungeon, and sadly this is what I most often do. I actually force-completed it to 100% before any other (except the easiest) dungeons on my last profile just to keep it out of the PQI.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby OneMoreNameless on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:58 pm

If you've unlocked the monster classes, I don't think you get to call yourself bad at the game anymore. :P

Anyway, don't forget that carefully positioned teleport glyphs can help place monsters on tiles that you can diagonally step around, and if all else fails go scum for Mass09's Ledger or Titan guitar to toss around or blow up the place. Or just prep Binlor and use his boons to tear everything down. I'm not sure which class would be best for purist - it's the only standard badge that I'm missing there. Goblin assassin, perhaps?
OneMoreNameless

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Err, the Halfling Monk can do the self-cannon in the labyrinth too. Other than that, as far as preps go it's like One More Nameless said, except preppin JJ also lets you have Wheytwut to move stuff out of the way. Binlor or Titan's Guitar or the Ledger outght to let you tackle the place with ease.
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Wargasm

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:14 pm

For purist I would suggest sorcerer or tinker of the classes you haven't tried yet. Tinker for the extra shop possibilities and sorcerer for the versatility. I also have to suggest halfling priest since that is how I did purist warmonger there.
For faithless my go to was goblin assassin with yendor. . .screw the whole dungeon yendor from the start rex is actually kindof a nonissue. . .you could probably rather easily get feeling parched on the same run.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Oh, I don't have to fight him early. I can usually avoid him until at least L7 pretty easily, but the nature of the place makes it play entirely differently with ENDISWAL than without. Most of the time it seems to favour physical damage enemies, so the Stoneskin from ENDISWAL helps, let alone the freeing up manoeuverability. Thing is without it, like I said, I either start running out of fog, or get stuck with not enough popcorn to munch and a bunch of L8-10 monsters blocking the paths where the 5-7s I need to be killing are hiding, et cetera.

I mean Wizard has all the right tools; he can fireball spike, has glyph sense, gets the mana discount so he can conserve a little MP while ending walls, et cetera. Rogue can handle damned near anything with the right preps and/or shops. The Fighter classes all got through by being played like Wizards. The Vampire got screwed because out of five places Rex could have chased him to, he picked the one square that blocked access to both the monsters the Vampire was feeding on.The Monk I got sloppy with, forgot I was worshiping Binlor, and leveled with 8 piety. Oops. I forget how the Half-Dragon screwed up. Gorgon eventually got trapped between Rex and a statue with no remaining ways to restore mana. Assassin only had three L3 and two L1 monsters in reach. That's the point where I got frustrated and made this topic. Heh.

I know I don't have to fight Rex right away, but I have to fight him *eventually*, and I generally prefer to get rid of him first because for one he's annoying, and for two, he's a bigger resource hog than almost every other boss. Probably the hardest non-vicious boss.
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Consider trying out wheytwut, seriously, potentially even thorough prepping JJ on something that sinergizes.
How good are you with Pissorff casters?
I also did well with cydstep users in that dungeon whenever I found it.
Lujo

Postby lolQuaff on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Sometimes stumbling across Rex just happens. You can reduce the chances of that happening by being very careful every time you move. You really need to pay attention to the boss blood splatters and avoid them until it's impossible to avoid them any longer.

If he does get triggered it's not the end of the world, you just need to be real careful with the positioning and the battles you choose. An easy 2 level higher kill might not be doable because you will be trapped in so you'll have to take another battle that lets you exit safely. This might be as bad as killing off a decent amount of popcorn to level up instead of getting that nice bonus exp, but at least you're not dead!

Note how he positions himself around you is just like how monsters get positioned around you when you use wonafyt (to your left/right/above/below then diagonally if those spots are not available), so when you are about to kill an enemy just think 'I'm about to wonafyt this beast, so I need to make sure my killing blow allows me to safely exit'

As far as the actual Rex fight goes, I recall usually starting the fight as soon as 6 or 7 and I also never really relied on fireballs as much as I relied on quicksilver/reflex and death protections. Remember he has knockback, so try not to hit him with your back to an enemy or a wall.
lolQuaff

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons