[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Yendor is crazy

Yendor is crazy

All things Desktop Dungeons

Yendor is crazy

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:09 am

I'm not saying it is overpowered or anything, but YENDOR is freaking crazy awesome as a standalone prep.
It is basically like saying "Here start at lvl 5" What the crap?
On most runs (excluding VGT and GT maybe) this is just such a huge advantage. Is there any other standalone item that is more powerful as a prep than "you start at lvl 5 and I don't even take an inventory slot"
This is certainly on par with the vicious drop items.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Re: Yendor is crazy

Postby FDru on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 am

Well the issue is that it takes up your locker prep and then it disappears forever (within the context of that run, anyway). You're then kind of punished by missing out on bonus exp for stuff that you normally would be killing (although the tradeoff is in favor of Yendor it's still something to think about). It's a situationally awesome prep but not something I'd even want to keep lockered.
FDru

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:25 am

It helps so much early game when you start at lvl 5.
It saves blackspace.
If you run into ticki tooki early you win (basically)
And with some classes it makes you almost unstoppable. (rogue, assassin, thief for the obvious ones)
not to mention the obvious goblin symmetry
I think it will be my go to as I try to do more vicious token runs. . .
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Darvin on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 am

Yup, had this bad puppy lockered for ages. Very fun prep, and you don't have to use it immediately, either. It's very good no matter when you choose to use it, whether it's an early game "cheat", or a late-game level-catapult.

Another great approach is to prep the translocation scroll and the elite items prep. This greatly increases the odds of it (and other expensive items) appearing on the shops, and then you just transloc it rather than pay its (rather obscene) 45 gold cost.
Darvin

Postby lolQuaff on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:32 am

lolQuaff

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 am

I'm with lolQuaff on this one. Just like Zot+Whupaz (although it is weaker than Zot+Whupaz), it just feels too easy in a lot of runs with it. I feel like I'm missing out on half the DD experience when I prep it and use it early, so I tend to go Dwarven Gauntlets or Dragon Shield.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby OneMoreNameless on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 am

Using Yendor straight away doesn't give you as huge of an advantage in the long run as it might seem - in most dungeons you'll still end up "wasting" a fair chunk of blackspace to find higher level enemies to target (or glyphs etc.), and the 50 exp boost is less impressive once you subtract what you'll miss from the usual L1-5 spiking. There are certainly a few cases of impressive synergy (assassins, Tikki Tooki), but for the most part you'll not be as effective against the bosses as if you'd prepped a persistent item and leveled up well.

On the flip side, if you do save the amulet for an extra ding during the toughest boss fight, then you're clogging your inventory for no benefit during the leveling stage. So even if it is powerful, at least it's still a trade-off either way. Probably the reason that it feels so powerful is not because it is strictly any stronger than other preps in the right situation, but because its effect is so generic and easily applicable that it can used on top of almost any strategy or run. Compare eg. the Viper Ward which can also make things incredibly easier but only in a limited number of scenarios (Hexx Ruins!) and thus you're probably less experienced at (/bored with) exploiting.

This argument is also pretty much why the Dwarven Gauntlets rarely leave my locker - very few adventurers don't benefit from them and they require no additional trickery to make good use of.
OneMoreNameless

Postby Blovski on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:23 am

My suggested change would be to make it continue occupying an inventory space after use. I find it kind of a boring item as far as fitting it into my playstyle goes but it would probably be better for it to have more of an in-dungeon disadvantage.
Blovski

Postby Wargasm on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Well it's also an alternative to the Balanced Dagger for VTs, but I'm not sure if one is consistently better than the other. Too many variables.
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:07 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons