[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Vicious Gaan-Talet

Vicious Gaan-Talet

All things Desktop Dungeons

Vicious Gaan-Talet

Postby ArcticMetal on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:39 am

I've completed every quest in the game now except for "Prepare to Die" and damn that quest name is accurate.

I first tried Vicious Gaan-Talet with the vamp, prepped dragon's shield and hoped for Meatmen to keep a blood farm going. After about 10 tries the closest I got was the 7th subdungeon.

Then I tried with a Dwarf Rogue with dwarven gauntlets. I did worse with this than I did the vamp - I get to around subdungeon 5 or so before running out of resources. I was mostly hoping to find Dracul early on. I'd prep him but that 25% bloodless seems really steep.

Any tips for this dungeon? I'm guessing high resist + staying power would be the way to go but I'm having a hell of a time with it. (Makes me wish the trisword still gave a flat +2 every potion you chugged! :lol: )
ArcticMetal

Re: Vicious Gaan-Talet

Postby TheSchachter on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:00 am

Hmm... Vampire is pretty reliable, I just had to restart a couple of times until I got a comfortable setup (monsters mainly). You really have to be prepared to use most or all of your potion resources on the Bloodless floor. I strongly recommend bringing Patches if you're not already doing so, as well as the Really Big Sword. Try to get your Lifesteal to at least 8, if you do then the boss is a non-issue.

The Rogue... I played Orc, not sure how dwarf measures up, but I used Glowing Guardian from the start. Glowing Guardian has pretty much everything you need TBH. You can still stack physical resists in other ways :)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby lolQuaff on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:00 am

lolQuaff

Postby ArcticMetal on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:23 am

Oh my god, I beat it!!! Thanks so much for the tips.

lolQuaff I followed what you said about Dwarf Rogue/Taurog/Dragon Shield and it worked! I ended up converting into Tiki Tooki first for that extra 10% dodge (and damn did dodging 30% of Horatio's attacks help), and then Dracul when I ran out of blackspace. I actually found Pactmaker in the 8th subdungeon, so I barely got any benefit from the body pact, but it still helped.

I had to use literally every single resource in the dungeon in order to succeed. Every bloodpool, every blackspace, every gold coin. My last purchases for Horatio were a keg of health (for piety/supercharged sanguine) and platemail. Using that I got him down to about 5 hits...and then I ran out of blood pools. That's when I decided to start using swells, even with the curse stack it was better than giving up!

Each blood swell got me one more hit on Horatio. I managed to pull 2 from my piety. At this point I had already desecrated the Earth Mother, so I figured I'd desecrate Binlor, since I was cursed anyways. That got me one more blood swell.

Horatio's down to 2 hits left, and I begin to panic, until I realize I still had the death protection yin sword!! Popped the DP for one more hit, converted my platemail and first striked the bastard for the win! You can see my stats here.
ArcticMetal

Postby lolQuaff on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:34 am

hahaha epic! Pactmaker on the 8th floor is really unlucky too
lolQuaff

Postby TheSchachter on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:49 am

Wooohoo! Good job! First VGT win is always an awesome feeling.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:53 am

Wow! That's a great story and a great win! Considering your bad luck on god spawns, you had a good run. It's always a great feeling too when you know you managed to just win by pulling out all of the stops. Even better than winning by a ton.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:11 am

Congrats :)
I hope to get that win eventually. I believe the best I've done is get him to about 1/5 of his starting health.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Return to Desktop Dungeons