[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Yet another impressions topic(and +1 minor quibble)

Yet another impressions topic(and +1 minor quibble)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Yet another impressions topic(and +1 minor quibble)

Postby lunawuff on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:43 pm

I usually stick to playing freeware since I am on a fixed income and there are lots of free games to play out there, including(not so coincidentally) a free version of this one, or its alpha, or something. But after reading about this, about everything they added and looking at the wonderful 2d art they have implemented(not that Mr. Yu's pixel tileset wasn't great as well), I decided to take the plunge. After all, it was only ten dollars and I could play the beta right away.

Well to my pleasant surprise, 'right away' meant almost literally right away, as in about two minutes after placing the order I got my invite to the beta. And even in this early state I have to say it was easily worth the ten dollars, and if I was the type who had all kinds of money to spend on games I would even have paid more. Its like the 'alpha' but with so much more content on the persistent side of things, which the best way they could have improved it while keeping the core gameplay intact. I love the snarky humor, and the puzzle dungeons are a great addition as well, not something I would want a full game made out of(I'll take random generation over pregen any day of the week and twice on my nights off) but as a bonus it makes the experience feel even more complete.

Now for the minor(and I mean MINOR) quibble- sometimes it feels like the gold laying around a dungeon isn't too important, because you usually get way more gold from items and such and the gold pieces seem almost like an afterthought. Then again, I've finished every level with the hoarder badge so far lol, so that might have something to do with it, I'm quite the miser when it comes to getting rid of my items.

I may add some more thoughts to this topic as I play more, but mainly I just wanted to say how much I am loving the beta so far.
lunawuff

Re: Yet another impressions topic(and +1 minor quibble)

Postby dislekcia on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks for the nice writeup :)

Yeah, gold in dungeons is something we're working on balance-wise right now. Have you unlocked the shops yet?
dislekcia

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:59 am

Gold can be more important as you get into the more difficult dungeons, and you need to buy items simply to convert, or you desperately need protection from manaburn, or you need to feed the tiki so that he'll piety you for being broke. There have been a couple of runs recently where I've scraped up every nickle on the map and spent it.

Also, I'm with you. I only bought this game because a) the alpha was awesome, b) these guys are genius indie underdogs and I totally respect that. Welcome to the community.
PeaceChaser

Postby GG Crono on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 pm

GG Crono

Return to Desktop Dungeons