[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Vicious Token Dungeon Specific Strats

Vicious Token Dungeon Specific Strats

All things Desktop Dungeons

Vicious Token Dungeon Specific Strats

Postby Blovski on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:29 pm

So, thought it'd be nice to have a place to collect specific dungeon strats for those of us going after the Vicious token.

Single boss dungeons:

Eastern Tundra: Only one boss and a Taurogzerker (or Taurog priest or Taurog monk) can just punch him to death. There are stronger choices but you can see just how solid one of the game's most basic builds is.
Den Of Danger: Gorgons are fun and a VT run on a basic dungeon is a great way to learn how to play one.

Two boss dungeons:

Northern Desert: Jehora Jeheyu Bloodmage. One spellcaster, two highly flammable bosses. Let the games begin.
Hexx Ruins: Earthmother spellcaster. Stone revenants and high level monsters. Zap your bosses. Gogogo.
Labyrinth New Style: Following OneMoreNameless's lead, the Self-Cannon. Take a warlord (Gnome with JJ) Weytwut Rexx and the other boss to opposite sides of yourself and proceed to let Rexx mangle any boss for you. In addition to being quite easy this is hilarious.
Blovski

Re: Vicious Token Dungeon Specific Strats

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Balanced Dagger: This item is unremarkable under normal conditions, giving you some extra XP for relatively easy kills, but in the long-run costing you popcorn and leaving higher-difficulty monsters on the board. In vicious-token difficulty, though, it's a game-changer that lets you level-up off equal-level kills when other opportunities are simply not available (and they often won't be). And yes, I'm aware it's a better item for beginners than veterans. Problem is, you need to beat Thief Silver to unlock it, so you're already past the "newbie" stage by the time you get it.

Goblin Assassin of Jehora Jeheyu: popcorn-bowl with WEYTWUT until you have petition and boost health, reach level 2 by the most convenient means, then start regen-fighting your way up. Thanks to boost health, you should be able to survive one hit to allow for poison fighting. Then use your swift hands for end-game popcorn consumption.

Mystera Warlord with Namtar's Ward: get to 16 MP and have mystic balance. With a prebuff and Namtar's Ward, you now can sustain four consecutive death protections in battle. Use refreshment for one extra DP per glyph conversion, schadenfreude potion for obvious purposes, crystal ball if you can get it, and of course a level-up catapult if feasible. If you can get your max MP to 20, then it's one mana potion to one CYDSTEPP.
Darvin

Postby Urthop on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:26 pm

Urthop

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:53 am

Funny for this topic to pop up just as I'm starting to do the Hard Dungeons with the Vicious Token. Just had a run in the DoubleDoom and the Goblin Assassin of Mystera with Elven Boots prepared ended up winning with a fair amount of resources to spare (though I did find BLUDTUPOWA, and my bosses were Aequitas and Tomithy, that helped). Poison + B2P + Assassin first strike can get you 3 level higher kills, and with the Elven boots, Mystera and the extra mana boosters you end up with 4 fireballs per level up. I didn't use flames, but I probably would've won faster with it, since the First Strike on Aequitas ended up being 14 HP.

I feel like the Goblin Assassin is going to be one of the best strategies for Vicious Token in general. I'm finally appreciating how good of a spellcaster they can be.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:57 am

TheSchachter

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:49 am

Both JJ and Mystera are great deities, and there's ample reason to go with either. Mystera will give you better spellcasitng power, particularly for your end-game spike. JJ has two big advantages over Mystera. The first is the free WEYTWUT glyph, which allows you to begin popcorn bowling at the start of the run. This is one of the big benefits to a JJ prep, and it's almost as good as a Binlor prep in respect to declogging. The second advantage is his boost health boon, which allows you to survive attacks that would normally be unsurvivable (a huge issue on VT runs). Mystera will give you stronger spellcasting once you have Mystic Balance and Refreshment, but Jehora gives you a more well-rounded list of options.

Really, the only deities that don't work well for Assassins are Glowing Guardian and Taurog. All other gods work wonders for them, and even Taurog can be used in a pinch as a piety farm.
Darvin

Postby lolQuaff on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:22 am

I feel like the goblin Assasin is super powerful and makes almost any dungeon simple :( It really feels like a free win using him. Save enough black space for the bosses and once you're able to tank a hit just go after them. In VT runs, leveling up and popcorn killing are generally a pain in the ass, but both are simple with the goblin assasin. This is ok though because vicious VT is absurd anyway so we need a hero for that :p VT wins are pretty awesome and I feel like doing it with the goblin Assassin cheapens the experience.

As Darvin said, the balanced dagger is a really good find. In general, getting a standard lvl2 kill at level 1 with the vicious token will usually waste a lot of resources so having the balanced dagger will help a lot.
lolQuaff

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:35 am

TheSchachter

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:03 am

Darvin

Postby Blovski on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:04 pm

@Darvin - all good things. Balanced Dagger is a fantastic choice.
@Schachter - I prefer an MA or TT Assassin myself. Part of this is that I am rubbish at Goblins and prefer elves and gnomes.

To be honest, my general-purpose choice is a JJ Bloodmage with the Balanced Dagger and Magnet Fireball. All of the power :twisted:
Blovski

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons