Problem loading my Kingdom in Steam's Desktop Dungeons

Got a problem? Let us know!

Problem loading my Kingdom in Steam's Desktop Dungeons

Postby Varnor on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 pm

My first post :) Hello everyone!

My issue appears to be similar to the below post

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2951

In essence, when I load the Steam version of the game I am logged in, but my Kingdom has changed to Default and I cannot click Play. If I click Edit (Which on the web version would bring up the list of Kingdoms) it instead switches to a Loading screen which never does anything

I can load the web version which I've sync'd without any problem

Any help would be much appreciated
Varnor

Re: Problem loading my Kingdom in Steam's Desktop Dungeons

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Sounds like the game is trying to log in and can't reach the internets? Could you be having firewall issues maybe?

Also, would you mind checking to see if your savegames are accessible and not write-protected at all? They should be in your Desktop Dungeons folder in your Steam directory.
dislekcia

Postby Varnor on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:22 am

OK I'm pleased to say it's fixed, but I'm not sure why it broke in the first place, or how lol

I tried removing various folders in the Desktop Dungeon SteamApp folder, and found that if I removed my saves, the game would load, sync with your servers and put my saves back and everything worked, and it's loading fine today still

Prior to this I had been loading the game, playing, syncing etc fine. It did just appear that last night although the game allowed me to log in on the front page it wouldn't detect my saved Kingdom, showing it as Default, and when I clicked edit it simply froze on the Loading screen rather than showing the list of Kingdoms, very odd

No changes to my firewall, no, and I was browsing the internet and using Skype and other Steam activities such as the Store and Marketplace normally, the web client version of the game also worked a charm, only the Steam one had issues. Very odd
Varnor

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Savegame corruption. It happens despite all the backups we do :(

Glad it's working again!
dislekcia

Postby PrestickNinja on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:29 am

I was having the exact same issue and had nearly given up on being able to play - this fixed it! Thank you!
PrestickNinja

Postby wakulet1 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:59 am

Hello,

I am having the same issue with saved games. I deleted the original saved games and was able to restart a new game. Unfortunately it is not picking up my old saved games off your server. If I try to manually paste the games into the saved folder, I get an error that the files are corrupt. Please assist.
wakulet1

Postby dislekcia on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:21 am

Do you have a DesktopDungeons.net account set up? If you do, then it if you deleted your Kingdom in the game itself, the server will have deleted the save as well. How did you delete your saves?

... And the previous solution was only to delete the default.sav file, not other saves. Which things did you actually delete and what are you trying to copy where?
dislekcia

Postby wakulet1 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:45 am

I have deleted all the saved files, not the default.sav file. I still have a copy of the saved files. I was hoping to paste them back into the saved file folder to fix the issue.
wakulet1

Postby dislekcia on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 pm

It's only the default.sav file that should be deleted in case of corruption. The other files are a lot less likely to have issues and are probably recoverable. Please put those back exactly as they were and rather delete default.sav (which is really only a shortcut for the first menu screen so that it doesn't constantly ask you to pick a kingdom when you start up - it remembers the last one you played).
dislekcia

Postby wakulet1 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:48 am

I have done that. It is now working correctly but it has not saved any of my progress in the game i.e it now loads from the beginning of the game. How do I recover my progress?
wakulet1

Next

Return to Support