Sorcerer BludToPowa Shennanigans

All things Desktop Dungeons

Sorcerer BludToPowa Shennanigans

Postby Nurator on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 am

Yesterday I was in Naga City with a Sorc and found a BludToPowa and MAN did I wreck that place.

I never noticed the synergy of Essence Transit (get 2 health per mana point spent) and BludToPowa (get 3 mana per 3*level health spent). You can just tick tock between fireballing and BludToPowa and easily kill a lvl 9 enemy at lvl 5 in a heroic dungeon oO

You could even get to lvl 2 and use a Fireball-B2P-B2P routine to get down the boss. As long as you have blackspace you can do that oO Combine that with a Dragon Soul or Mystera Fire and Mystic Balance or EM corrosion + clearance (oO^^) and and and.

I am not sure if it is possible to kill a boss on lvl 1 with this because its a bit scummy (you need B2P and prep:fireball) but its really awesome^^
Nurator

Re: Sorcerer BludToPowa Shennanigans

Postby Urthop on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Afaik B2P isn't near as effective on a Sorcerer as you think, the health cost is inflated quite a bit to make sure it's not that stupidly powerful on a Sorcerer. Not quite sure how that balance works on higher levels though, on lower levels B2P just doesn't work, and I tend to just autoconvert B2P on Sorcerers.
Urthop

Postby Nurator on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Just do the math:

On level 2 B2P costs 6 health for 3 mana. So if you do that twice, you lose 12 health and get 6 mana. Fireball costs 6 mana and gets you 12 health back. What is not effective here?
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:02 pm

You're actually incorrect. I found this awhile back (you could fireball infinitely at level 1), so they made B2P cost extra for sorcerers.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:20 pm

The Sorcerer infinite loop with B2P was identified in the beta and addressed by giving him an increased cost when using that glyph. It's still a very good combo for him, though.
Darvin

Postby Nurator on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Oh okay just tested a bloodmage for the glyph, never noticed its different for sorcerers! Nevertheless I am happy, never went through Naga City Top so easily :)
Nurator

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Yup, Sorcerers are allergic to B2P. Although it's still a useful glyph on them despite that - it's actually the increased mana pool allowing additional starting fireballs that does it ;)
dislekcia

Postby Urthop on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Interesting, seems like I'll need to reevaluate my Sorcerer B2P usage. :)
Urthop

Postby TheSchachter on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:44 am

Yeah, I used to assume that sorcerers just couldn't use B2P; I think it's because the additional penalty is particularly noticeable at level 1 (as is Essence Transit's bonus, for that matter). Funny enough, I figured out how to make B2P work with Sorcerers in the middle of making a video for Sorcerer Gold. Turns out that alternating between fireballs and B2P casts (instead of casting B2P twice followed by Fireball once) makes the penalty less unwieldy at lower levels (it doesn't make a huge difference at higher levels either way, but it's still noticeable).
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Nurator on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:41 am

Ah ok interesting. Is this stated somewhere? In 3 years of beta I never noticed that^^ Are there any other class exceptions for glyphs? (other then cydstep warlord of course^^)
Nurator

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons