DD many stories ? (Maybe codex memory ?)

All things Desktop Dungeons

DD many stories ? (Maybe codex memory ?)

Postby flap on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Has we play various stories unfold. We get some parts from subdungeons encounters, mission textes, dungeons descriptions,...
As anyone tried to follow all of them and note them down ?

One I am experiencing, is that we get to see mosts texts only once. And as there are so many stories mixed together, we can't really follow them. (An starting a new kingdom is not a task to be taken ligthly. My average time to solve a dungeon is between 20 and 60 mins...). Maybe could we have all past texts or encouters stored in the codex. Or shoudl we, as players try to note them down and sort them out...
flap

Re: DD many stories ? (Maybe codex memory ?)

Postby Urthop on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 pm

I could be wrong, but most text is actually reencounterable, the only ones from the top of my head that aren't are the text from the first 3 dungeons you get that vanish, and the main storyline involving H.

Any other stories are told through signs in subdungeons, and those you can all find again.

Still, some place all that would be gathered would be kinda neat.
Urthop

Postby flap on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Hmm. I thought that some subdungeons were unique (could be met once only)
flap

Postby Urthop on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:31 pm

That's true, but afaik, the only subdungeons that don't reappear are those linked to unlocks, so the various God subdungeons, the races, and one of the southern dungeon unlocks, believe it was Ick Swamp.
Urthop

Postby flap on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Maybe a new tab in the codex, with the different characters we met, would be usefull.
flap

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 pm

The codex really was so much work that I don't think we'd add anything to it now. It's honestly the least-used part of the game for the majority of players and it took us AGES to do. If we did the game over, I'd leave the codex out and just put all that info on a website.
dislekcia

Postby flap on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:08 am

Ah ? Ok.
At least I enjoy discovering every new unlocked items, as well as the various descriptions.
I really don't like having to rely on the net connection to get some info. So the codex eased gods usage a lot for me...

But I understand that once you've read something three times, you won't feel the need to come back to it again !
flap

Postby Gakato on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Yeah the Codex is really nice! I think the effort was well invested and DD really needs this feature especially to keep track of the various gods and to check during a run if it's beneficial to convert to another god.

But back to topic: I also wondered a lot about the whole background story, as it seems that there is actually a plot in the world of DD. But putting all these signs together to see the "big picture" is hard to do. Therefore I created a dedicated page in the wiki (click). As it fills up we may need additional entries or can assign them to different plots. But at least we have a starting point.
Gakato

Postby flap on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:32 am

Ah, that might be a good idea.
We could also add the few "H" intervention there
flap

Postby Gakato on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 am

Yea of course, maybe for this "main story" we can open up a new table/section, just to keep it seperate from the signs. But I guess this would require starting a new game again, as I have sadly nothing of these story elements left. :(
Gakato

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons