[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Steam Backup Erased My Game? (OSX)

Steam Backup Erased My Game? (OSX)

Got a problem? Let us know!

Steam Backup Erased My Game? (OSX)

Postby georgetzortzis on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:11 am

I deleted my Steam application, including all the files in the Steam folder. Before I did that, I used the "backup game" function on DD so that when I "restored backup" on my computer (after my finals) I could start at the same level I had left off at. Now, when I use the "restore backup" function, it reinstalls DD, but my old kingdom, in which I had invested a lot of time, is not there. It's asking me to enter the name of a new kingdom, as though I had never played before. Why is this happening, I'm freaking out because I love this game but don't want to spend 12 hours just to catch up to where I was before. Why can't I recover my saved game and if I can't because of a bug, is there anyway to edit a kingdom to catch myself up to where I was before.
georgetzortzis

Re: Steam Backup Erased My Game? (OSX)

Postby dislekcia on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Steam's file backup system doesn't know anything about save game information AFAIK, which is why it only stored the downloaded "install" files for Desktop Dungeons and didn't include your saved kingdom. I'm afraid you deleted it along with everything else when you deleted Steam :(

If you've got a DD.net account, you should be able to simply log in and it'll restore your previously saved kingdoms.
dislekcia

Postby georgetzortzis on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Ohhhhhhh nooooooooooo! That's the worst news I've heard since my brother wiped my Final Fantasy 3 cartridge! 14+ hours and I'll never see my precious Kingdom of Brokelyn again!? Does that happen with all Steam backups or is it a game-by-game basis? Wow, I was worried about this being the case--especially because I don't have a DD.net account--but now that I have confirmation I am soooo bummed out.

This might sound crazy but is there an editor that the developers used to play-test the game that can produce a simulacrum of my kingdom? I would pay someone for their time or become the biggest superfan in the world and recommend DD to all my gamer friends, or both. That's how much I love this game. You must have been in a similar situation in the past with games you've played (corrupted save, kid sibling who doesn't know better, glitch, patch, etc.) and feel my pain; please help if you can.

Thank you,
George
georgetzortzis

Postby dislekcia on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:34 pm

dislekcia

Postby georgetzortzis on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks for your help! This was probably for the best, since I had a bunch of deadlines coming up and couldn't stop playing (which is why I backed the games up in the first place and deleted Steam and everything, just to focus on my work). If there was a way to get Brokelyn back, I'd probably be out of a job by next week!

Where do you think the best place to post a description of my in-game progress to find a similar saved game? I'm going to detail it below before I forget certain Brokelyn attributes:

- I had the first two ranks of all the following classes: mage, fighter, thief, cleric

- I had the following races: humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings

- I had the blacksmith upgrade with the three storage slots; I had the bank upgraded twice

- I had the demonic market upgrade that added four additional vending machines to each dungeon

- I was on the "Unlikely Hero" quest and still had not found the witch in a random subdungeon

- I had beaten the initial desert, jungle, ice, and _______ quests with the first and second rank hero classes (mage/wizard; warrior/beserker; etc. EXCEPT the Rogue). So the first tier of “hard” quests were unlocked but not completed.

- Puzzles were pretty much incomplete

- I found the plant god, chaos god, warrior god, pious god (with the beads), vampire god, and mage god

- The only class-based quests I’d completed were with the mage. The other 11 were still unconquered.

Please let me know if that’s enough information, or if there’s some other forum I should post the above to in order to find a close save. I’d be forever grateful to be able to feed my addiction again!

Take care,
George
georgetzortzis

Return to Support