[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Strike order mechanic

Strike order mechanic

All things Desktop Dungeons

Strike order mechanic

Postby Flyingkiki on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi everyone !

I've started playing DD last week, and so as common newbie I'm struggling with the game mechanics. I've watched some tutorial videos and search among QCF & Steam forums, but still I can't find any answers.
I've understood the strike order mechanic and the importance of the "slowed" and the "first strike" buffs, but I don't get this : when I use WEYWUT on an enemy with a higher level than mine, he's slowed. Still if I strike him, I'll take some damage. Is this normal considering he is "slowed" and so with a lower strike order than mine ?
Another example, if I use GETINDARE and then directly strike a higher level enemy (without "First strike"), I'll also get some damage back.

Is the higher level a more important factor than "slowed"/"First strike" buffs, or do I miss something in the game mechanic ? I think all of this is far more deep than I expect :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance for your help ! :)
Flyingkiki

Re: Strike order mechanic

Postby dislekcia on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:19 pm

If a creature is still alive after your strike has happened, they'll hit you back if they didn't already hit you first.
dislekcia

Postby Flyingkiki on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks for your anwser Dislekcia ! :P

So first strike or the slowed debuff should be used only for giving one more shot in order to kill a monster or to strike popcorn (with WEYWUT) ? :)
Flyingkiki

Postby FDru on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:41 pm

The "no retaliation" bit in the description for slowed is a bit misleading. There's no situation where an enemy doesn't get to hit you back when you use a normal attack (unless they die).

What slowing does remove are effects like Blink and Retaliate: Fireball.
FDru

Postby Nurator on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Strike Order is really only important for the last strike (there are some obscure mechanics where this is not true, but dont worry now. As you said, this game is FAR more deep than you can imagine right now :D )

Getindare helps you get one additional strike against any enemy without first strike without retaliation when you cast it right before you kill the monster.

Weytwut is more expensive, but it can slow even first strike monters!

Just keep these two in mind and you are good to go for the next hours of gameplay :D
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Just to be 100% clear, this is the strike order from fastest to slowest. Although if the monster lives, it will retaliate.
Monster First Strike
Player First Strike
Normal Attacks
Monster Slowed
Player Slowed (this is a rare edge case)

Also, slowed removes blink, cowardly, retaliate: fireball, and first strike.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Darvin

Postby Flyingkiki on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Waw thanks a lot, I understand it better now !
Thanls to your advice I was able to clean the Northern Desert dungeon, that was an hour long but I did it :P And these rules were particularly usefull of course...
Flyingkiki

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons