Favourite music in DD

All things Desktop Dungeons

Favourite music in DD

Postby Astral on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:02 pm

I really love the soundtrack of DD. Danny Baranowsky and Grant Kirkhope truly outdid themselves.
Looking through the forum I didn't see any topics dedicated to players' fave tracks, so here's one.

What are your favourite tracks in DD?

Mines are:
Golden Sacks - the atmosphere gives a good feeling of adventure and some parts remind me of great memories playing HoMM 3
Whaaarrgarrrbl - very intense song. Whenever I hear it it makes me feel like a berserker :D or at least a member of the fighter's guild. This song is so catchy the 1st time I heard it I couldn't concentrate on tactics and had to take a 6-7 minute break just listening to the music, so I won't get my attention derailed constantly :P
Boggy Bottom - a nice calmer, more ambient music, reminds me of Bastion at parts
Dunes of Damnation - same story as with Whaaarrgarrrbl, but with a wizard feeling instead of warrior

Also all the vicious levels have some epic music, and the music change when you go from one part to another is a great touch. My absolute fave is Namtar's music. When listening to that you know you're not dealing with your everyday boss.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Re: Favourite music in DD

Postby FDru on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:54 am

Tough call between Desktop Destiny (title music, like if you haven't sat and listened to it, you should) and Dragoneye. I get such nostalgia pains from these. Reminds me of the early days of WoW, exploring Ashenvale forest for the first time. And, of course, Banjo :lol:
FDru

Postby dislekcia on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:29 am

I think Whaaarrgarrrbl still wins for me - I loved the early versions of that track and then it just kept getting better ;)

I'm a little sad that the soundtrack hasn't taken off as much as we hoped it would, Danny and Grant have done some amazing work on it and they deserve more praise.
dislekcia

Postby TheSchachter on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 am

That's a shame to hear, it is indeed a fantastic soundtrack. I say this as a classical musician who tends to be very picky about what sometimes passes as "classical" or "classical-inspired" :P I'd buy it, but I already own it, courtesy of the special edition!

I don't know the names of the tracks off the top of my head, but the ones that stick out in my mind right now are the waltz-like piece that plays in the Magma Mines among other places, the music for Namtar's Lair (and all vicious dungeon music deserves a shout out tbh). Special mention should be made of the escalating intensity of the Gaan-Telet music. Reaching Horatio after scaling the tower and having our duel set to the climactic choral version of the music (which I've affectionately dubbed "one-winged goat") is just great. Very fitting. :)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby nopaint on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:41 pm

My favourite is the one that plays in Troll Toll map :)
nopaint

Return to Desktop Dungeons