[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Grand Collection of Fails

The Grand Collection of Fails

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Grand Collection of Fails

Postby Astral on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:58 pm

In this topic you can share your stupidest and funniest mistakes in DD whether it costed you a run, PQI or just a facepalm.
I'll start:

- Lately I've been doing tons of PQIs and some time ago I got a Warmonger Elf Priest on HB. I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes I confuse priests with monks if I'm not paying attention. I choose my entire preps and starting shop items accordingly, I picked an ideal 2 lvl higher target and started regen-fighting it. "Strangely" I was getting nowhere with it, and for a second I was like WTH??? then I saw I did the same stupid mistake again :lol:
At least by the bossfight I could play like a wannabe monk thanks to Pactmaker.

- Another time I failed a warmonger goblin fighter run in 3 seconds. The habbit of casting an early WONAFYT dies hard :P

- That reminds me the stupidest way I lost parched once. I was spamming the Tower of Goo with fireballs when I accidentally misclicked. Right into a health potion 1 item slot above...

- I've played dozens of Gorgon runs. Once when PQI sent me to Slime Pit for I can't remember what, I was beeing too cocky and converted ENDISWALL somewhat early cause "I have a bear mace, who needs it?" then I proceeded to kill a lvl1 Goo Blob in a choke point and managed to seal off 25% of the dungeon with 2 glyphs and plenty of monsters still inside. Imadgeenius!

- But today I just did one of the noobest thing possible. PQI in Grimms Grotto with a faithless half-dragon. I find my boss Bleaty, and decide to burn it to death after shredding its resistance with the piercing wand, using 1 Ding inbetween. Spot the mistake:

This happens when you play too casually :P
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Re: The Grand Collection of Fails

Postby flap on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 am

You must have felt extremely powerful against that goat...
flap

Postby Kestrel on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 am

Blew a few runs in Labyrinth and Shifting Passages because of carelessly thinking "I'll just kill this easy high level goat" on the edge and ending up stuck between level 9 zombies and/or Rex. When this happens in Labyrinth, it usually means Titan Guitar gets prepped next time round...

Buying vampiric blade/venom dagger while worshipping GG and not noticing anything until my inventory gets wiped

"I can take one hit because it says SAFE, so I'll kill it with fireball + normal attack" -> F, click, click, dead, huh? -> Oops, enemy had retaliate fireball, even more annoying because it would have worked by normal attacking first...

Confusing hoarder and miser in PQIs. Or just auto-buying a fine sword in the first shop and failing Miser in 1 second.
Kestrel

Postby Astral on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:36 pm

@flap: Yep, it was weird that I didn't need B2P and then I saw I can even take a hit on the chin without losing the DP...

@Kestrel: Those 2 dungeons really trolled me the first time I played them. In SP for quite a while the walls didn't bother me, so I assumed they weren't harmful just a neat decoration. Then I found myself trapped next to a lvl 9 only at lvl5. On my 2nd try I came back with a Binlor prep, and with a Pisorf at hand I feared nothing. I planned out a nice higher level kill on a crowded area, and made sure I leveled up on the kill, so I had enough mana to escape.
And that would have worked if I wasn't sealed in such a way that next to the monsters unpassable eroded walls spawned :/

What about the labyrinth? My first try was with a Transmuter...
Astral

Postby TheSchachter on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Oooh, well, I recently found out that the Shifting Passages' wall-creeping mechanic can be triggered by destroying plants, not just killing regular monsters! That Purist Elven Monk PQI was going really well, too :/
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Nurator on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:30 am

The first time I found that Enlightment Subdungeon, I thought "25 gold? There must be a secret hidden somewhere!" and continued to completely explore everything with Lemmisee and then got disappointed that nothing happened...^^
Nurator

Postby Astral on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:58 am

Something similar happened to me in the vegetarian vampire sub. I saw all those harmless unique plants, the vampire was named vegetarian or chef I believe so I thought the catch is that you shouldn't kill the vampire but instead solve a logical game and find out the "code" of plants.
I killed 5 and got 0 correct, tried 5 in a different pattern, still nothing, after killing the 15th plant I suspected I'm totally overthinking it and just killed the vamp too. Picked up his recipe and only got 1 lame CP bonus.
Astral

Postby flap on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:31 am

flap

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:19 am

My thought process on seeing Astral's picture:

Well, it looks like he won, so the mistake couldn't be that bad. Hmmm, it looks like he had to leave a lot of the high level monsters on the board before engaging the boss, but sometimes that can't be helped.

Oh wow, it just registered with me that he's actually soaking a hit from Bleaty! How'd he do that?

Oh

Oh no
Sidestepper

Postby sitnaltax on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:36 am

The hardest part of VT runs is remembering to prep the VT.

About halfway through the Naga City bosses, I thought to myself that the run was going remarkably smoothly. Then it occurred to me to check the bosses' damage and my heart sank.
sitnaltax

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons