[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 am

dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:33 am

Great job! That really shows the DD at its best, and I'd love it if you posted the rest.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Loved the writeup! Also, witchalok pendant probably holds the record in terms of "crazy wins on the back of it" / "forum mentions" ratio. ^^
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Kestrel on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:08 am

After some failed attempts at VT naga city with the orc Pisorf wizard (they just have too many hit points and I ran out of resources on the third wave) I switched to Orc Monk of Binlor, prepping Dragon Shield/Quest Items and got it first time. I explored half the map at the start using Pisorf and stone fist to gain piety, picking up Fireball and Dwarven Gauntlets which was a good start, allowing me to kill +1 level monsters. I also found HALPMEH which was useful for snakes, and bought a soul orb. Later on I found APHEELSIK which and decided to convert HALPMEH for space. I picked up Crystal Ball / Burn Salve and hit the arena at low level 8 feeling good about my chances. Piety just below 50.

First wave spawned with Iron Man, Tomithy and Jorm, a troublesome set for monks because of the poison and curse. Converted out to Dracul with 50 piety after kicking one of the minions into a wall (getting 58% magic resist after it), and desecrated EM to get Blood Shield and drank the burn salve. I started off the fight poisoning Iron Man and kicking him into Jorm, but then realised halfway through this it would make more sense to just poison Jorm because Ironman wasn't doing too much damage anyway and the poison was inefficient on him. Besides, it was cool to poison-fight a snake for a while without having poison cures of my own. I used Reflex, Quicksilver, mana potions and crystal ball to kill Tomithy because I couldn't afford more than a couple of curse stacks. Then I used 3 health potions as poison cures to allow me to regen-fight Jorm the rest of the way, pushing him into the side arena wall.

Second wave was SMM, Tormented One and Tower of Goo. Since poisoning the secondary knockback target worked well last round, I decided, again, to poison the Goo and kick SMM into it which let me get some extra damage in, and leave me with some mana resources to use on Tormented - I needed schadenfreude and the rest of the Keg mana potions and crystal ball to finish Tormented One, and used Dracul's blood swell too. After this I took Consensus/Body Pact and switched to Mystera, just because I had 3 health potions left and wanted a safe deity to park on.

Third wave was Frank / Aequitas / Gobb, and again rather than fight Aequitas and his massive damage head on I poisoned Aequitas and kicked the other two into him while throwing spare mana into fireballs at Aequitas too, using Yendor to hit level 10 along the way. This was the easy part of the fight because although Frank and Gobb tend to be a pain for other classes, the monk has an easy time with them, especially so at level 10. Both Gobb and Aequitas actually hit low hp at the same time and I finished them with a pair of fireballs.

This left Kinissch who went down easily to regen fighting, I had 3 health potions and a whupaz which I forgot to use left over at the end.
Kestrel

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:29 am

Wow, congrats on the VT Naga City win! I haven't dared to try VT Vicious yet... that being said, I'm not entirely surprised that the Monk was successful. I'm pretty terrible with that class myself, and yet I utterly stomped regular Naga City with a similar strategy. Anyway, great writeup! :)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Blovski on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 pm

VT Naga City's a lot of fun. I crusadered it, which is similar to the monk approach except you get an extra altar topside and curse immunity in exchange for a few of the resistances and regen beastliness.

Just got my Purist VHOS badge. Gnome Sorceror, early Binlor, amulet of health. Standard level 5-6ish Indomitable takedown followed by wiping the map for about 40-50% MR then nobbling Blahblah with a pisorfing/punching doomball with an explored map. About 80 piety left over, GG on the map and some mana potions as well... pretty lucky run for a first try at the purist but basically sorcerors seem pretty monstrous at that map.

Can't remember if I've asked this before but has anyone beaten NC with a Goatperson? It looks impossible to me but...
Blovski

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 am

^Nice! VHoS actually took me quite a few tries to do purist... but I forget if I even tried as a sorcerer (which is a very sensible class for it). I did it as the ever-haxxorz goblin assassin, but mainly because I just did not want to deal with the monster set of that place... I'd say the dungeon is actually quite a bit more difficult than we usually give it credit for, but you can make it very easy with good prep selection and good strategy. I found it more difficult purist than Dragon Isles; BlahBlah is arguably the strongest individual boss of any vicious dungeon (not counting Horatio obviously).

Came here to celebrate the great power of the Punchomancer (Orc Wizard of Binlor edition), whom I always underestimate. Just beat the Vicious Token Berzerker Camp with him, and while by itself that's not the most impressive achievement, it is worth noting that the additional boss was Super Meat Man! Ran out of exploration approximately at level 4/5/6 (poor monster set/positioning + BLUDTUPOWA use), around the time I was fighting the Berzerker boss, and I was starting to feel that it was rather hopeless... but thanks to a tricky conversion to Tikki Tooki and later Binlor desecration, the Monster Zoo secret subdungeon, careful monster management, two shots of learning, the Scholar's Pact, a couple of reflexes + whupaz, 20maxMP (boots + pendant), two Schadenfreude and a Slayer's Wand, I was actually able to take on SMM's 1900 HP with a mana potion remaining (along with the Badge of Courage) while level-cannoning up to 9(!) and finally achieving rainbow status in all eastern sub-vicious dungeons. Woot!

Seriously, I need to spend more time with the Punchomancer. It's such a powerful strategy, but I especially appreciate that, unlike, say, the Fabulous Treasure Goblin Assassin of Tikki Tooki, it's a strategy that makes you work for its results (careful positioning, mana/wall management, etc.) and doesn't feel nearly as cheap (though to be fair the former is still very fun on occasion!).
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Blovski on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 am

The lucky Binlor find and picking up an early boost item more or less did it for me, tbh. Also, Sorcerors. Way stronger than I, as a Bloodmage man, normally give them credit for.

Assassin's pretty good at the map - back when Mage Plate gave +1 mana/level and I think around when Crystal Ball and poison were broken, I did a no-physical-attacks run with an assassin on that map... it was utterly ridiculous. Balance has really improved.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:45 pm

^ I've been harping on Sorcerors all the time, they're bloody strong. Goblin sorcerors especially, since they have a cheap way to refill the bigass mana pool, and they don't LOOK that strong because you trust a class ability to be balanced somewhat so the +5 mana kinda slips past the cheeze radar.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Hm, interested to see whether the extra 30ish XP from a goblin makes up for the eighty quasijillion mana potions of gnomes. Never really tried it.
Blovski

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons