[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Ask A Dev

Ask A Dev

All things Desktop Dungeons

Ask A Dev

Postby Nandrew on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:34 am

I'm kinda tending to the community while most of the guys are at GDC.

So for the next few weeks, here's a dose of reassurance that I exist and have opinions on things. Think of this thread as a lite AMA with slightly more despotic qualities. Gimme questions and I'll answer some of them at my leisure for whatever reason. I'm biased towards interesting stuff and answers of more than a few words. Don't be tiresome.

Questions continue until an arbitrarily-decided lock time. :D
Nandrew

Re: Ask A Dev

Postby flap on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Do you know what awaits QCFdesign post Desktop Dungeons ?
Would it be even more DD (add ons, and other weird stuff), or do you have some unexpected but still juicy projects in your basket ?
flap

Postby flap on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:00 pm

Question 2 :
What part / character / objects of DD are you particularly proud of ?
flap

Postby Darvin on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Q3) some of the classes went through a variety of iterations before they settled on their final form. Were there any particularly funny or memorable designs that were tested internally but never revealed to the public?
Darvin

Postby nopaint on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:25 am

As someone who really loves videogames I really would like to know about the following aspects, for and indie developer:

- how much did you invest in DD? Not talking so much about money, but what did you study to be a developer, how you began to think yourself as a developer and how much time and effort did it require to make DD a full fledged product?

- are you happy with the sales figure of the game? how is marketing viewed by a indie developer and how do you make your game known to the public?

- the art is absolutly gorgeous. How did you guys get to know the artist, what do you asked him to do, how much supervision was needed to make DD as you envisioned.

Uff, I think that's all :)
nopaint

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:06 am

Here's a question: While observing people play the game and discuss it on the forums, has anything ever happened that really surprised or impressed you? Like strategy being discovered, an God being pushed to unexpected limits, etc.?

Also, if you had to go back and rebuild the game from the ground up, is there anything you'd change or do differently? (yeah, that's a boring question, but I'm curious :P)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby flap on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:15 am

Another crucial one : what do indie game developpers have with goats ? (see positech.co.uk, Galcon, DD,...)

@TheSchachter : check that post. You'll get an answer to your first question.
flap

Postby Nurator on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:19 am

Another one: How did you do the algorithmics for the random dungeons? This seems incredibly hard to create infinite random dungeons, that make all sense.
Nurator

Postby Nandrew on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Nandrew

Postby flap on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Last edited by flap on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
flap

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons