The Schachter's Low-Unlock Video Walkthrough!

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Schachter's Low-Unlock Video Walkthrough!

Postby TheSchachter on Mon May 19, 2014 9:18 pm

(x-post from the Steam forums. I hope nobody minds!)

Hello everyone!

Since the game went on sale recently and many new people seem to have bought it, I thought it would be a good time to start on an idea I've had in mind for some time: A low-unlock video walkthrough. The idea is that, since people asking for help often have very different Kingdom progression, it can be difficult to give pertinent advice, especially if, like me, you've been playing on a save file with everything unlocked for a long time. Therefore, this walkthrough will give video examples of myself playing through the game with very few "extras" (items, classes, preparations, etc.) unlocked. That way, I hope everyone can benefit from them!

I've uploaded the first part here:
http://youtu.be/tZQSbLfT4xs

I go over this in the video, but for reference, these are my plans for this playthrough:

-I will play through the game's story up until the "final boss" (at the point where the economy stabilizes).
-I will unlock the Vicious level dungeons, and most likely complete them while following the requirements for the Monster Classes.
-I will attempt to do the majority of the content preceding the Vicious dungeons as a purist (in other words, without Kingdom preparations).

I will not unlock (or use, if I do unlock them):

-Any of the Silver Class Challenge items
-The Orcs or Goblins
-The Transmuter, Tinker or Crusader
-The Monster Classes (obviously :P)
-Items earned through quests (Unless they are unavoidable; I don't remember clearly enough)
-The Alchemist or Bezar preparations
-The upper tier Witch potions

Things I do plan on unlocking as soon as they are available (along with a justification):

-The first 5 races, up until the Halflings and Gnomes (they come very early)
-The Viper Ward and Soul Orb (these are rewards for completing the Halfling and Gnome puzzles packs respectively. They are very strong items and can be acquired very quickly; even if you are unable to complete the puzzles, I strongly recommend looking online for a solution, as these items are too universally helpful to pass up)
-The 12 "basic" classes (upgrading all of the four class buildings to level 3)
-All of the Gods and Godesses. This might raise some eyebrows, so it bears justifying: I firmly believe (and many veterans of the game have said so before me) that familiarizing with the various deities is the best thing you can do to improve your chances of winning in this game. Good deity play is a big part of what I want to demonstrate in this playthrough, as it can carry you through almost every challenge there is (barring the deity-less class challenges of course!). Besides, the altars are pretty simple to unlock: just encounter them once (and complete their challenge) to unlock them. You can even kill your character afterwards.
-Finally, I will probably unlock the first two Witch potions (Fortitude Tonic and Burn Salve), as their unlocking quests are fairly easy (and I'll be demonstrating them anyway) and they are quite useful for the later dungeons. Notably, the luck factor in Gaan-Telet raises a fair bit if you don't have access to at least a Fortitude Tonic.

If you have any comments, questions, requests, criticisms, etc. on my plans for this playthrough, please let me know! Experienced players are welcome to criticize my playing, which is helpful both to me and to newer players who stand to learn from such criticisms (but please remember that I'm pretty rusty from not having played seriously in a while! :P). Basically, all feedback is welcome!

I hope you all enjoy watching these as much as I enjoy making them! :)

Cheers,

The Schachter

PS: To anyone who has asked me to do a class challenge video that I haven't yet done: I haven't abandoned those videos! I've just been really busy and I wanted to get back into Desktop Dungeons with something a bit less difficult :) Feel free to remind me if you want a certain video made. I'm still planning on doing Crusader Silver and (if I can manage it in a timely fashion) Triple-Quest 3-2 (and maybe 3-3 if I can beat it again :P)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Re: The Schachter's Low-Unlock Video Walkthrough!

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue May 20, 2014 7:42 am

Great idea! This will be very useful for new players! On my second playthrough I tried to play only purist and it was a lot more fun than always prepping the fine sword for example. It made the single runs depend more on the items you find and you had to work with what you got.
berpdreyfuss

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri May 23, 2014 8:29 am

I watched the first part, very well done!
It is very good for beginners, but there were also things I would have missed, like that level 9 warlock kill in the first one. Things like that might be too much for new players, but I don't know, maybe it's good to show what can be done.

I suggest to have just one run in a video, to make them a bit shorter.

Keep up the good work!
berpdreyfuss

Postby TheSchachter on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:52 am

(Yet another x-post from the steam forums)

I'm back from the dead! After a looooong hiatus caused by a bunch of real-life cirumstances, I've started making Desktop Dungeons videos again. If anyone was waiting for more, I sincerely apologize! I was just not in a good state for making videos in the past months, but things seem to be looking up, so I'll be doing my best to bring updates at least once a week (no promises, but it's the minimum I've set for myself as a goal right now).

I've got a video up for part 2-1, and part 2-2 has been uploaded and just needs to be annotated. Part 2-3 is tentatively recorded (it's not very good, but it has its moments), I'll probably try and have it up tomorrow.

Part 2-1: http://youtu.be/Mz5Va6tW7OA

Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... gKgkIXiOP_

I'm not entirely happy with these videos; as I point out in them, I haven't been playing the game seriously for a while and both the gameplay and commentary are pretty sloppy, but I really wanted to get them out there in order to get back into this. I'll be taking earlier improvement suggestions into later videos for sure; in the meantime, please don't hesitate to comment and leave more feedback!

Cheers!
The Schachter
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Astral on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:03 am

Wonderful!
And don't worry about sloppy gameplay, new players are inexperienced, and likely to make those as well. So you can better understand their problems this way.
Now let's see the videos :)
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Astral on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:22 am

I re-watched your 1st video and checked out the 2nd one. They were both very informative and fun to watch :)
The way you showcased important and somewhat advanced game mechanics on the level 9 kills (warlock in 1st run, and goblin in 2nd) was beautiful. I also liked how you gave a lot of important general game play tips, but did not make the mistake of going overboard, so didn't bombard your viewers with too much information.

Btw the note in the elf wizard run was unnecessary, your glyphs were drained so you couldn't reach 25 mana.
Oh, and you could have saved blackspace in the 2nd video if you didn't stack burning, but went with attack + fireball + weytwut instead. It could have helped in killing the lvl 8 goblin too, when you were lvl 5.

Almost all of your tips were right - those that do not depend on playstyle - the biggest mistake I remember was saying something about how resist stacking gives better than linear benefits (which is still true on permanent resistances), but does not apply to 1 time resistances (any kind of stoneskin). So on the tips front too, you were pretty good :)
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Kami on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:30 am

Nice!, I realy hoped you would do more thank you! :D

I am actually doing a minimalist challenge but with literally no unlocks.

It is rather hard and just shows how strong gods are.

Edit* Did you looked up the question about the libary thread the dev droped some hints about an update. :)
Kami

Postby dislekcia on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Oh hey, more videos, yay! I saw you popping into the game on Steam before I went on holiday, I just figured you were into playing again. Now I get a present, thanks :)

Reading that comment on the video, I saw your cursor wasn't highlighting grid spaces as well. That's a thing I find hard to play without these days and would help if you stayed with your current capture software... Which I totally suggest you do (what is it, BTW?) because FRAPS washes out the game's colours something fierce and it looks super vibrant in your videos, so I'd totally like to use whatever you're using to capture official gameplay footage in the future.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:29 pm

Cool idea!

I've been considering completing the game in the fewest number of dungeon runs possible, which is somewhat similar to your idea. However, I've never found a 5-hour or so block of uninterrupted time to livestream it (because you'd have to live-stream something like that :-P).
Darvin

Postby berpdreyfuss on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Again, well done, I really enjoy watching your videos!
berpdreyfuss

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons