[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Why do I take no damage here?

Why do I take no damage here?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Why do I take no damage here?

Postby Average Joe on Fri May 30, 2014 5:12 am

This was my first foray into Southern Swamp, and its annoying nagas that weaken me.

After I managed level 2, however, I ran across a level 1 naga that the combat predictor says will not damage me. I do not have first strike, so I don't understand why I will kill him, but he won't touch me.

http://tinypic.com/r/353cjyo/8

Also, does weakness ever expire? Or it's permanent for that dungeon?
Average Joe

Re: Why do I take no damage here?

Postby Lynzkar on Fri May 30, 2014 5:29 am

You will attack before lower leveled targets, and because you will kill it in one hit, it won't get a chacne to strike back.
Yes, the weakness is permenent, but there are a few ways to get rid of it. there is god boons, and a potion, that's about it all (I'm trying to not spoil it to much). So try to avoid getting weakned.
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Average Joe on Fri May 30, 2014 6:13 am

Oh, I see. Thank you. So if the monster is my level, then we attack simultaneously? Does that mean higher leveled monsters get first strike automatically?

I actually was about to give up on this run, but managed to take down the level 10 snake being level 7! I also ran into my first god-- the Earthmother.

Are the gods you meet random, too? Or would I have met her first no matter which dungeon I went into?
Average Joe

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 30, 2014 6:30 am

For first strike rules, anyone who literally has first strike (GETINDARE, rogues, goblins, etc.) will hit first unless you both have first strike, in which case it is simultaneous. If neither of you have first strike, the higher level character hits first. When you unlock the gods, they are not placed randomly, but from now on a random god (increasing to 2 then 3) will spawn from your pool of unlocked gods.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Fri May 30, 2014 7:07 am

Its really exciting to read your questions :) You are on your best way to become an expert if you already want to know every little bit of game mechanic :) I am looking forward to the writeup on your first vicious dungeon :D (but it will take a while until you even unlock the first one :D)

Keep us posted! Killing a boss at lvl 7 is an impressive achievement! Next time try to start the boss fight at level 6 right before the edge to lvl 7, then kill a low level monster without taking damage to level up and fully heal infight and then kill the boss ;-)
Nurator

Postby Lynzkar on Fri May 30, 2014 7:16 am

I do belive the attack priorities are as folliwing (from first to last)
BURNDYRAZ glyph > Enemy first strike > Your first strike > equal or higer leveled enemy normal attack > your attack > Lower leveled enemy attack
Lynzkar

Postby dislekcia on Fri May 30, 2014 10:38 am

dislekcia

Postby Gakato on Fri May 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Maybe you also want to have a look at the wiki, strike order is actually very well explained there: strike order
Gakato

Postby Lynzkar on Fri May 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Oh that's why better explained, it dosen't include BURNDYRAZ with Heavy fireball though :c (It's equal to the gorgon's deathgaze ability)
Edit : Nevermind, I should really read things properly before I post. Sorry.
Lynzkar

Postby Darvin on Fri May 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons