[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - converting straight from the shop

converting straight from the shop

All things Desktop Dungeons

converting straight from the shop

Postby borgulz on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Since we can convert glyph (and items, in hobbler's hold) straight from the ground, even with a full inventory, why shouldn't we be able to do the same for shops? I like to convert a troll heart or a bloody sigil to get a litte boost once in a while (well, in every dungeon) but i don't want to get rid of my venom sword for that. It particullary annoying for classes with few physical slots, and I can't see any logic in it.
borgulz

Re: converting straight from the shop

Postby subanark on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:23 pm

I assume since it would make the shopkeeper very sad.

In all seriousness, I think it's fine as it is. It adds a little extra inventory management challenge, and allowing conversions from the shop would make the UI more complicated.
subanark

Postby borgulz on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 pm

damned, I forgot that.... But in this time of crisis, we've got to spend our money to strengthen the economy !
borgulz

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:47 am

As someone who also likes to buy and immediately convert Troll Hearts and Bloody Sigils, I like this idea, although I also think the conversion value for those two items (along with Midas Gloves and possibly a couple others) should be nerfed by a lot. They're valuable enough just being able to buy and keep and then later discard; giving out a ton of conversion points as well makes them a lot more cost effective than most of the weapons and armor you can buy.

Anyway, the interface part of it shouldn't be too hard - just have bought items appear on the ground, just like with items obtained from deities.
q 3

Postby Wargizmo on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 am

An easy fix would be just to let the item drop to the ground if your inventory is full, like with Taurog's gear, then you could convert it from the ground like you can with the items easy dungeons.
Wargizmo

Postby MeVII on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm

MeVII

Postby PeaceChaser on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 pm

PeaceChaser

Postby Darvin on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:37 am

Bloody Sigil is horribly underpowered for anyone that isn't a rogue or a human who has already converted a few glyphs. Troll Heart is just abysmal; even in an ideal circumstance it will only grant 10 extra hit points (which requires reaching effective level 11 through Humility) which is pathetic when compared against pendant of health which gives you +10 health when it matters most: right away. These items are bought strictly for conversion points and need overhauls.

Using the fine sword against the pendent of health as a comparison, we would say that 1 point of base damage is worth 2.5 hit points. If we use Trisword as our baseline, a troll heart should provide 7-8 hit points per level. Since trisword is a bit overpowered, I'd say the troll heart should move to providing 5 hit points per level.

Bloody Sigil should have its conversion points drastically lowered and it needs a change to its penalty so it's not a rogue-exclusive item anymore. For most characters it's only useful at level 1, and even for rogues who have a lot to gain from extra HP it can hit the conversion bin as early as level 3.
Darvin

Postby PeaceChaser on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:42 am

You are right on the troll heart Darvin. It's more expensive than the Sigil and has less function other than to be converted. I still say I use the sigil though as it is. -20% isn't that bad as it's temporary. +10 hp doubles your health at level 1, or TRIPLES it as a rogue, who I often use it with anyway. If you can take one hit from a mob you otherwise couldn't, you'll probably get a kill following up with a first-strike rogue.
PeaceChaser

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:08 am

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons