Another newbie question

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Another newbie question

Postby Average Joe on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:17 am

Another question.

I have been doing the puzzles now. I just did the Earthmother one called "Barbs."

I completed it, but I don't understand why I won. Each of the two golems are level 1, and so am I. It takes 5 xp to level, and I had only 1 xp gained, so killing two level 1 golems should not have leveled me. However, after they were corroded and slowed, suddenly they were worth 2 xp. So killing them did level me, and enabled me to defeat the boss.

Neither the slowed nor the corroded status effect says anything about bonus XP, according to the codex. Why did I get extra xp from these golems?
Average Joe

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 am

You get +1 Xp for killing a monster while it is slowed. It's mentioned in the tutorials, but you're right, it should be in the codex. I'm kind of surprised that one slipped past all of us in beta.
Sidestepper

Postby Average Joe on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:50 am

Oh, ok, so that also applies to the Earthmother's entanglement. It ought to be mentioned in the description of her boon, as well, then.
Average Joe

Postby Average Joe on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:55 am

A related question, now that I have been working on the final Earthmother puzzle.

In this one, the boss is at the bottom of the dungeon, with his 3-golem wrecking crew.
I ask the Earthmother to again slow them and corrode them. This is after using petrify, so I see the little icon on my character that says the next attack will earn bonus xp.

However, when I mouse over the 3 golems, none of them show any bonus xp in the predictor. They have been slowed, so all of them should be worth 2, and the next kill should also be worth additional bonus xp due to the petrify. But they all show only a gain of 1. When I actually hit one, and it dies, I gain 2 xp, not 1. After the first kill, then the predictor shows a gain of 2 for each of the other ones. Killing all 3 gave me 6 xp, which is what I would expect from the fact that they are slowed. Where was the bonus xp for the petrify? Is the predictor bugged here, or is there something else going on I don't know about yet?
Average Joe

Postby Nurator on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:25 am

Thats because the game is evil :D

You would get 1.5*1+1 xp, because the 50% bonus comes before the +1 from the slow effect. But the game rounds everything in a way that it is bad for the player, so in this case your 2.5 xp is rounded down to again 2 xp.

I cant reproduce that they only show 1 gain... can you post a screenshot?
Nurator

Postby Average Joe on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:48 am

Thank you, Nurator, for your explanation. I will try to remember about the rounding.

Upon loading up the game today, I was mistaken about the predictor showing only 1 gain. It shows them all at 2. I must have miscounted in my bleary-eyed haze from staying up far too long playing this intriguing game.
Average Joe

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons