[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Getting 100% on Vicious Gaan-Talet

Getting 100% on Vicious Gaan-Talet

All things Desktop Dungeons

Getting 100% on Vicious Gaan-Talet

Postby Psycho Savager on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:10 am

Wow, never thought I'd get this far but here I am! I have a few challenges left in Naga City, Demonic Library, VGT and the Goat Glade and I've done the game!

My general tactic for VGT has been prep GG and use the Humility boon to get an advantage over higher level enemies, while also using him as an easy piety farm, combined with Body Pact to get my resistances stupidly high, then switching to Dracul for the endgame. I always choose Orc for the race, and prep Dragon Shield, Whupaz, Fortitude, Compression Seal, Patches, and Quest Items to maximise the chance of finding a Soul Orb. Crusader blitzes VGT with this tactic and Halpmeh and Getindare are godsends.

I've been able to modify these tactics based on the class/badge but it doesn't work so well for the Gorgon, Goatperson, Purist, Hoarder and Vicious Token badges. What do people recommend?
Easy & Medium Badges: 210/210 Hard Badges: 450/450 Vicious Badges: 172/180 Triple Quests: 2/3
Explorer's Guild Puzzles: 56/56 Bronze/Silver/Gold Challenges: 45/45 Achievements: 34/35 Overall: 99.0%
Psycho Savager

Re: Getting 100% on Vicious Gaan-Talet

Postby Lynzkar on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:34 am

As someone who has barely beaten each vicious (except Gaan-Talet) once, that there is very much impressive for me. Also thanks for trying down your tactic. Also, is it possible to get all badges on a vicious map in one run? (I know it is theorteicaly possible, but practialy?)
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Nurator on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 am

its not even possible to get all badges in a normal map in one run^^

And noone has ever done VGT with the Goatperson, so good luck with it :D

Hoarder should be your simplest task now, conversion is a nice bonus, but only crucial for GG. Binlor Monk for resist stacking should be enough, so that you dont need to convert anything.
Nurator

Postby Lynzkar on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:26 am

Lynzkar

Postby Nurator on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:45 am

why? you cannot buy anything :D
Nurator

Postby Lynzkar on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:14 pm

You have the Transaction seal, so you can buy one item.
Edit : Also you got transmution seal to destory walls, maybe meet good glenrick for alot of exp qucickly
Lynzkar

Postby caviar on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Spoilers ahead!

You're definitely on the right track as far as the general formula goes. I personally prefer to not take consensus/body pact in most cases, as dragonshield+bloodshield+will+curse scroll+3 hits of resists from patches gets you to max. This saves you the -4 pact piety drain that occurs even when your resists are already maxed out (and it also lets you go beyond crazy with dracul's sanguine without the 50 piety consensus cap//not taking a pact could let you get off a last-ditch bloodswell with consensus). Anyway, these were my successful strategies for the respective badges:

Hoarder
http://i.imgur.com/QR1lbQp.jpg

I waited until the lategame before worshipping Dracul in order to get mileage out of halpmeh (fantastic glyph for this dungeon, definitely up there with getindare), as well as to get a huge amount of piety on initial worship. If you were to worship drac early you would not only be unable to use halpmeh/health pots effectively, but your overall piety gain would be slow due to the amount of wraiths the dungeon houses. So basically - stay faithless until late in the run, worship dracul for ridiculous amounts of piety, get resists and what will eventually be 6-7 layers of sanguine.

Purist
http://i.imgur.com/9zkN2L2.jpg

I believe the easiest way to do is this to just go rogue and scum for a first-floor GG. Humility for obvious reasons, and cleansing as a potion prep surrogate (you won't be having too many issues with inventory space anyway since you're purist). A couple of absolutions won't hurt you either. I'm not too sure about the race of choice, but I tried dwarf a couple times to no real avail, and I believe that an orc would end up with lower damage in the endgame.

VT
http://imgur.com/JELnnNH

This one was surprisingly easy (read: not as soul-crushingly difficult as I'd thought). Things will hit a bit harder - but they'll also have a LOT more hp for you to milk. Scum for a platemail and some good overworld bloodcows and go to town. As always with the vampire - convert aggressively. You don't really need any particular glyphs for this to work out (this run would've been warmonger if I didn't precast cydstepp before conversion) Fewer glyphs resulted in an eventual abundance of lifesteal - but I feel it was worth it as it gave me a nice edge in the early game.

As for gorgon - this one still doesn't want to work out for me either. I figure you'd want to go into binlor at some point in order to free up the overworld bloodpools - so maybe taurog would be a good starting point to get the armor as well as to generate piety? If you get lucky with undead monsters on the surface you might even be able to get away with GG to start - get to level 2, grab humility, convert aggresively and get out. I'll probably give it a shot tonight. As for goatperson, I barely even want to think about it. LOTS of scumming involved.

Hope this came out somewhat coherent (I'm pretty tired) and will be of some use.
caviar

Postby lolQuaff on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:48 pm

lolQuaff

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:03 pm

^ Eh, wut? On the last one, I'm actually quite amazed and pleasantly surprised with a good textwall.

Gorgon's not that tough. Binlor + Subdungeon (also possibly some other god but scum for binlor on the first floor). It might take a try or two, but once you start rolling, it'll work out. Have to play careful, and heavy duty Binlor worship is the closest thing in the game to actual grind, but it works. Don't remember the exact setup, but I think dragonshield was deffinitely involved. It kept eluding me, but once I figured out the exact pattern it worked like a charm.

However, it's possible that the last time I did it the final floor had a different layout (I saw some spiral one I'm not familiar with), and in the old layout you could keep recasting IMAWAL on an empty space (if careful) and keep knocking bleaty into it for both knockback and maintaining the binlor might boon. If they did indeed change it, I'm sad.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Psycho Savager on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks for the tips everyone - I'll give them a try as soon as I can.

Lujo - the final subdungeon with Horatio is a spiral (on both Gaan-Talets) and no chance of casting IMAWAL unless you have ENDISWAL as well.
Easy & Medium Badges: 210/210 Hard Badges: 450/450 Vicious Badges: 172/180 Triple Quests: 2/3
Explorer's Guild Puzzles: 56/56 Bronze/Silver/Gold Challenges: 45/45 Achievements: 34/35 Overall: 99.0%
Psycho Savager

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons