[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Full screen kills the game dead.

Full screen kills the game dead.

Got a problem? Let us know!

Full screen kills the game dead.

Postby YeGoblynQueenne on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Started the game, then switched to full-screen, and it started dying in agony. The screen flickers constantly between a blank screen and fleeting glimpses of my desktop, so I don't even have enough time to kill the process. I have to restart to be able to do anything on the computer. It looks like it's locked in a vicious struggle for control of the resolution with windows, 'cause I can see the cursor changing sizes every half a second or so- but it never settles.

That's on Windows 8.1 with Intel integrated graphics.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled three times, also ran a registrly cleaner, but every time I start the game it tries to go to full screen and keeps failing like that.

I'm looking for an .ini file or maybe a registry key I might have overlooked. It must be storing that fullscreen=1 (or sth) value somewhere.

Haven't played the game almost at all and spent way too much time trying to find the setting. A bit sad now :(
YeGoblynQueenne

Re: Full screen kills the game dead.

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Whoa, okay.

Step 1: Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. It sounds like the game is having a hard time trying to render to texture, which is usually a driver support problem.

Step 2: Point your registry at HKCU\Software\QCF Design\Desktop Dungeons and change the fullscreen value there to 0.
dislekcia

Postby YeGoblynQueenne on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi and thanks. I'll have to try that tomorrow (the problem is on my work machine)(promise not to tell my boss).

Just to clarify: I played the tutorial with the game in windowed mode up to the point where you first level up and it was playing OK. That was when I tried to go full screen and it all went badly. That's why I think it's the full screen mode that did it. Apologies this wasn't clear in my fist post above.

Would changing to full screen make a difference in my card's ability to render to texture?
YeGoblynQueenne

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:05 pm

dislekcia

Postby YeGoblynQueenne on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:24 am

YeGoblynQueenne

Postby YeGoblynQueenne on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:35 am

Oh, btw- my graphics drivers are up to date. Still can't start in fullscreen :0

I have both an onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600 and a dedicated Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M. I've started the game with both and neither can start it in fullscreen. I've had this problem with another game (Shadowrun Returns). I do have the latest (stable) driver from Nvidia. So not sure what's the problem here but it's probably something specific to my setup- and I don't really mind playing in windowed mode so.
YeGoblynQueenne

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:32 am

Looking at those registry keys, it seems like your fullscreen resolution is 780x438... It looks like that's where the problem is coming from: The game is trying to set a resolution larger than 800x600 and it's not getting that back from your OS. You're definitely right about it not being the graphics drivers, I have a very similar setup on my laptop and the game runs without any problems.

Is your screen really that small? Does that mean that when you play in windowed mode, you can't see all of the game? What pixel resolution is your screen actually at in Windows and do you have any idea why the screen might be reported as that size instead?
dislekcia

Postby thegabbert on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:08 am

Those registry values are probably in hex, and if they are, 0x780 x 0x438 is 1920 x 1080.
thegabbert

Postby dislekcia on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:56 pm

dislekcia

Postby YeGoblynQueenne on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Sorry, missed this. Yeah, I noticed those values too and also misread them as decimal, thanks thegabbert :)

This is my laptop model:

http://www.clevo.com/en/products/prodin ... ductid=474, currently witha core i5-4200M. It's connected to two BenQ 24" LED monitors. When I got this issue the game was trying to go fullscreen on one of the BENQs, my main monitor (which is probably what it should be doing).

Btw, don't know if I made that clear eralier but although I can now play the game OK on 8.1, I still haven't been able to go fullscreen on that OS version- I keep getting that eternal flickering/ cursor scaling. I've done fullscreen without problem on my Win 7 home laptop (with intel onboard graphics only). Can this be an 8.1 thing?
YeGoblynQueenne

Next

Return to Support