[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Upcoming Expansion / Content Patch

Upcoming Expansion / Content Patch

All things Desktop Dungeons

Upcoming Expansion / Content Patch

Postby Tinker on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:49 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: Upcoming Expansion / Content Patch

Postby Darvin on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Heh, I need to pay better attention to the bragging thread, I totally missed that.

I suspect curiosity in this case just caused horrible mutations in the cat.
Darvin

Postby Nurator on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:20 am

Awesome! Anyone has a idea what this class does? Maybe we can reverse engineer it from the score screen...^^

I start: The guy can kill a lvl 2 without using any spell, but took 2 pots before... so maybe a chemist gets stronger by quaffing potions. This would also explain the halfling race choice (and a good choice as a developer, because halflings are underplayed). Main god is Tikki Tokki, so no regen fighting => high damage for few hits. (47 dmg in the mean per attack is impressive without hitting lvl 10!) A lot of health was wasted, so he stays at full hp a lot.
Another Tip: Oneshotting Bleaty, BUT with dodge and reflex potion. So no first strike (should be too similar to rogue otherwise).
Strange is that he could survive a lvl 8 goat as lvl 5 without first strike. => high max health.
He is not a real dmg spellcaster, but casts a lot (mostly high cost spells). Hmmm, maybe that increases potion effectiveness.

All in all, I would guess the following abilities:
1. Drinking Potions increases your damage for the following attack.
2. Potions allow overheal to up to 200% (would explain surviving goats and not restoring most of the time)
3. Spellcasting increases the damge/overheal percentage per potion.

Am I totally wrong? ^^
Nurator

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:48 am

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Nurator on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:16 am

Ok thanks for the tip! Right, totally forgot the "switching part". That toally makes sense and fits the picture of the crazy chemist. You can see at lvl 6, that he only targeted high resist monsters, maybe one form ignores these. The "lots of switching" statement seems voluntarely, so level up will not change it.

My guess now:
1. Drinking a health potion transforms you into a high physical damage form and overheals you.
2. Drinking a mana potion transform you into a high magic damage form that increases fireball dmg and ignores resistances.
3. Spellcasting increases the effect of the next transform.
Nurator

Postby Tinker on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:28 pm

That L2 Warlock, on nominal difficulty, should have roundabout 10 Attack and 15 Health. Now, we see that a lot of exploration was wasted, however an L1 Halfling character, even with all boosters picked up, would have no more than 6 Attack and 13 Health without gods/spells/items.

So, if there is no class feature impacting the Chemist's abilities, it would have taken her 3 attacks (with possibility of 1 tile regen), to deal enough damage to fell the warlock. That would imply taking 30 damage, which is a bit too much, and even assuming an abundance of potions it would not seem smart (i.e. it would take 3+ health potions to kill that Warlock, highly unlikely that dislekcia would invest so much resource into the first kill, except maybe to play mind games with us! :lol: ).

So, the answer most likely lies in the abilities of the class. The class may have, oh, 25% Magic Resistance, or so, to reduce damage taken. The class may have some means to do additional damage - maybe it has a starting glyph (PISORF? BYSSEPS? some shiny new glyph?), which might help fighting the Warlock. Maybe it has some cool potion-related ability. Maybe it has bonus damage, Damage Reduction, or some other relevant ability. Like, getting some benefit (temporary attack bonus? CP?) from exploration at maximum health+mana; being able to mix potions to combine and/or boost their effectiveness? or having outright a potion effectiveness boost (which would reduce number of potions needed to kill the Warlock).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Zaratustra on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:27 pm

according to Earnings the Chemist had -not- exhausted all her potions before the end of the run.
Zaratustra

Postby Lujo on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:33 pm

The chemist was also a halfling, so it's possible that D just converted stuff that was lying on the ground or glyphs before exiting. Or, well, if he oneshoted bleaty, then he only ever needed one potion for the bossfight.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Astral on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:06 pm

It's also interesting that by walking 138 tiles wounded, she only healed back 202 hp. That's some pretty nerfed regeneration.
The only other class with anything similar is the vampire now, so the chemist most be an absolute beast as well.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Darvin on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:39 pm

I'd advise against reading too deeply into any of these things. This is Den of Danger, one of the least dangerous dungeons in the game, so aside from that Warlock kill (where we have confirmation that dislekcia used no glyphs or non-potion items) nothing here looks particularly out of the ordinary. It's entirely possible to get highly skewed regeneration or damage statistics if you do most of your attacking/exploring early or late. So yeah, a potion-based class feature seems plausible but I don't think you can speculate much more than that.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons