[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dailies Thread

Postby flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:26 am

Last edited by flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
flap

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 am

Last edited by Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby flap on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 am

flap

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:43 am

@Tinker: Eh, you tell me. XD The only way I sped up is when I decided to stop chasing every possible advantage I could squeeze and just play what comes naturally only playing attention to a number of things at a time. Watching any of my vids you could have a drinking game - take a shot every time Lujo missess something obvious/gameswinging/spectacularly missplays something, except everyone'd end up in the hospital. (Game's overloaded with useful things, sometimes I think it really could use more shop cloggers and chaff XD).

But there's a nice takeaway for you from the fact that I get stuff done in half the time with not significantly worse results, concerning the debates we've had lately. Might be you're trying to squeeze the map/build/whatever for more than is really necessary. Not that it's not fun and satisfying, but it is a bit of a factor when defining "viable" or "optimal" and stuff. Ties in with my talks of "such and such is more for cool victory screens than anything".

But sorry about this sidetrack, it's supposed to be a thread about different things. As usual :lol:
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:54 am

@Lujo: Or, maybe, it's just that I'm playing slower than you? Without it having to mean that all my opinions are invalid in retrospect? :D
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:07 am

Doesn't mean they're invalid, but it might mean you're not keeping certain things in perspective. Take Yendor - one thing that thing does is speed up a run significantly. So does the Balanced Dagger. But that has an actual, rarely talked about impact in the game - and that is that it reduces the ammount of places where you have to make a choice. If someone takes their time, they can reap the benefits - but they can also overexplore, miss timing windows, or even plain missplay because they're piting themselves against more challenges. Yendor doesn't solve any particular thing (well, it does get late-game powerhouses closer to the late game), but what it does do is make sure you don't arse anything up getting from level 1-5 (if you use it that way). It's not about your skill or your playtime, it's just that your playtime and your outlook are kind of supportive of each other, for lack of a better word. You'll probably consistently beat me on some of the tabs, but probably not EDIT: by a significant enough margin to invalidate the viability of the way I'm currently playing (I'm not chasing times, mind you) or a bunch of conclusions I could draw from it.

And there's no point comparing stats for the purpose of who's boss, because Darvin will consistently kick our assess on all fronts most likely (once he figures out how I'm cheating on the piety tab :ugeek: ), and once the Avatar shows up and gets over possible skill decay we're all f***d anyway :lol: And that's not even accounting for all the folks who kick ass and don't post here.
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 am

@Lujo, it seems to me that you're drawing conclusions about me rather than the game. :? I don't know how to respond to that. Can we just stick to, me being a slow player (statement, no need to explore deeper), and us debating arguments for what they are, not for who says them or why?

I don't mind the occasional shameless praise, mind you, or playful/friendly interactions, so no need to arse up, just please be a bit more conscious of how you make others feel... ;)
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 am

Ah, sorry, crap. :( But you do tend to throw around stuff that souds like objective conclusions when they might actually be a playstyle/outlook thing, and I was having trouble communicating this :( I get the "but that's only you" thrown at me for just about everything... You know how weird it is to even try to communicate a point when you get accused of being too pro, too playstyle preferetnial and too suboptimal at the same time? :shock:
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:00 am

Yeah, caveat to anything I write, it's my opinion, coming from about half year's worth of DD-delving, and my current skill which is probably intermediate-to-advanced (far from master). And I do play slow. And I do like puzzles, and sometimes play even slower trying to figure out how to kill a tough monster, or excape from something I RNG-d or misclicked myself into. I'm trying to maximize the fun I have in the time I play, not necessarily the number of runs, or badges, or anything like that, so I'm looking for those situations that make me think (even if I then end up doing that slower than most players). Still I like the game and I'm improving and I have tons of fun most of the time... And I do challenge stuff every once in a while, but half of the reason is to learn new things from others. The other half just trying to impress others and get praise or adoration.
Tinker

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons