"Undo" Glyph?

All things Desktop Dungeons

"Undo" Glyph?

Postby irishladdie727 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:14 pm

It's pretty easy to misclick your way to a premature demise, just as it was in the alpha, and even easier to make a horrible, game-changing mistake only to realize what you've done a second too late. I think an undo glyph, or a consumable item that allows you to go back a turn, would be extremely welcome. I'm not sure how the mana use would work, and you obviously wouldn't be able to undo death, but could such a spell be implemented without breaking the game?
irishladdie727

Re: "Undo" Glyph?

Postby Joshua on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:48 pm

I like it!

If it were a glyph, I could see it being used strategically (e.g. triggering Rogue's Dodge trait). It would lose its effectiveness as a one-time consumable, but it could still have its uses. Personally I'm all for it being a glyph (call it WUUPSIE :D).

Another option is to have it available exclusively in a Beginner/Learner's Mode, but with the penalty of not being able to complete quests or take gold/items out of a dungeon.
Joshua

Postby Zaratustra on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Voting for undo glyph or undo potion. Would it be usable after death, though?
Zaratustra

Postby FDru on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Why not just a single use undo button? Then simply disable it anytime Dodge is acquired. Want to take risks? Take risks.

(for the record I don't think anything like this is needed at all, this is just how I'd do it if I had to)
FDru

Postby glownmelby on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 pm

I fail to see how an undo feature would be useful, really. If they're just looking to throw in some extra items that most people wouldn't bother to use, sure - but make it a potion and not a glyph (not that I would really complain about having another free 100 conversion points, but you know...).

Generally if I misclick, it results in my death - and there's already a glyph that takes care of that!
glownmelby

Postby aguydude on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:22 pm

I'd rather not waste an item slot (both in my inventory and in shops/ground on this. As a preparation item that I'd never use I guess I'd be OK with it.

Though from a technical perspective this would probably be a hassle to implement. What if the user clicks undo after one or more events (e.g., completing a quest)? There's a lot of annoying stuff that supporting undo adds to a program.

I'm similarly against another suggestion someone made to disallow accidental suicide.

Can't we just be satisfied with death protection instead?
aguydude

Return to Desktop Dungeons