Things to monitor, if we wanted ingame help

All things Desktop Dungeons

Things to monitor, if we wanted ingame help

Postby flap on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Hello,

I we were to make tool to help making decisions for DD, what would we track ? (Technically, it could be done by monitoring the memory of the game. Think of game trainer. I had done some interesting things this way a while ago)

- Number of uncovered tiles, and tiles left to discover
- Number of each monster killed for each level
- Total level of monster which have been discovered
- Total level of monster which could be killed without taking damage / using mana

Some calculation could be done too :
- efficiency of regen technique when applied on a specific monster
- XP calculation for killing monster

Do you have any other idea ?
flap

Re: Things to monitor, if we wanted ingame help

Postby metroid composite on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Reminder warnings when you're close to level up if there are...
1. Poison enemies on the map you could kill
2. Mana Burn enemies on the map you could kill
3. You don't have a deity yet and Pactmaker has been uncovered. (Or Binlor, for that matter)

We know how many of each level gets spawned in any given dungeon; keep a list of uncovered monsters of each level, and killed monsters of each level, so you don't go exploring for "I wonder if there's any more level 5 monsters out there?"

If you worship Dracul, and come across a HALPMEH glyph, have red flashing lights saying "Convert from ground! Don't even pick up, it'll disappear!" (Seriously, I screw this up every time). Similar warnings should happen if you worship Jehoira and picked up GETINDARE.

For Transmuter: memory of which tiles used to have walls on them, and which ones never did. (This can be the difference between exploring in a direction that will uncover new spells and enemies...and exploring in a direction that was always a bank of walls).

Keep track of how many glyphs are left out there, and how many stat boosters are left out there, and how many shops are left out there.

If you worshipped Dracul, the boss is undead, you're fighting the boss, and you have 4 or less piety, again provide bright red warning klaxons.

Seriously, it's this memory stuff that trips me up; I can do the math (I like doing the math).
metroid composite

Postby CunningGabe on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:31 am

I keep seeing references to converting glyphs on the ground -- how do you do that? (In the alpha)
CunningGabe

Postby MaximumSquid on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:48 pm

CunningGabe:

Just do a click and drag of the glyph onto the converter just like the mouse over tool tip tells you:

MaximumSquid

Postby mass09 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 pm

It could be helpful to see how much experience you'll gain from killing a specific enemy.
mass09

Postby CunningGabe on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks, Squid -- I tried dragging it straight from the floor, or pressing the convert button while I was standing over it, and never thought to drag the glyph icon that shows up while I'm standing on it >_>
CunningGabe

Return to Desktop Dungeons