[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - How about some new offensive spells?

How about some new offensive spells?

All things Desktop Dungeons

How about some new offensive spells?

Postby Herborist on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Some ideas.

- A freezing spell that gives them slow strike for one turn (at the cost of reduced damage)
- A lightning based spell that stuns them for one turn (but deals no damage at all?)
- Some sort of aura/shield? I'm extremely disappointed that no such spells exist. There are SO MANY possibilities on how to use auras that only effect certain areas.
- Weather/terrain changing spells - create a swamp that slows people who run/blink, make it snow to give everything in an area slow strike

I'm tired of fireball and I never play casters as a result, which is incredibly sad to me because I love magic-based classes. Speaking of which, why no spellblades?!
Herborist

Re: How about some new offensive spells?

Postby q 3 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 pm

WEYTWUT already does most of what you're thinking of for the first two spells. Why are you tired of fireballs? Is it the aesthetic or the mechanic? If you're looking for a different way to deal damage, you should try experimenting with PISORF. Although it can be difficult to pull off, it allows for some sick combos - a Wizard with the Rock Heart and a Strength Potion or two can literally curb stomp any monster dumb enough to spawn next to a large wall.
q 3

Postby Herborist on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Herborist

Postby gjaustin on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 pm

I agree.

I would love to see at least one other offensive spell that was based on the caster's level. PISORF is decent, but being based on physical attack makes it bad in the same situations where you need Fireball.

I think an area effect spell would be cool. There's already a precedent for damaging multiple monsters with PISORF, so adding another glyph that's Chain Lightning or a Snowstorm could add some extra options.

More attack spells would also provide a way for Fire Heart to not be completely inferior to the Battlemage Ring. Just swap their effects and make the (new) Battlemage Ring stack damage for all attack spells, whether Fire, Cold, Lightning or whatever.
gjaustin

Return to Desktop Dungeons