[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What Else Do You Play?

What Else Do You Play?

All things Desktop Dungeons

What Else Do You Play?

Postby Zazzlegut on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi Folks,

This thread is in no way meant to disrespect DD as I really enjoy it a lot. I don't think I'll ever reach the Master level that many of you have attained, primarily because my play time availability is pretty limited. If I can get one game in per day on top of the daily it's a pretty exceptional day. That's not enough play time to really improve dramatically and get comfortable with the strategies that take you up to higher tiers of play.

Having rambled a bit, I was wondering what other games you folks are playing / have played that you would recommend?

I can't get into anything that requires great chunks of time in a single sitting. Casual play, with a strategic and tactical mix is preferred. I'm also not a fan of real-time games or anything that is Massively anything (MORG, MMPORG, MMEWERLKJERORG, etc :-) ).

Really, the style of DD is just about perfect. Just looking for something a little different for variety.

Suggestions?

Thanks............Z
Zazzlegut

Re: What Else Do You Play?

Postby Tinker on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:10 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby berpdreyfuss on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:56 pm

Reading your description, FTL was my first thought as well. It is not turn-based but you can (and should) pause the game anytime and give orders. It's a great game and it is similar to DD in that you learn a lot about the mechanics of the game while playing it and steadily improve your play that way. As Tinker said, the runs take a little longer but you can save.
berpdreyfuss

Postby William on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:53 pm

"Because Goatperson"
William

Postby vipris on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:12 pm

i play Warlight sometimes. it's a free online multiplayer strategy game, inspired by Risk. A normal game takes around 30-60 minutes, but there are plenty of settings and maps to play with. you can pick a small map and lower the maximum time for players to submit orders, if you want a quicker game.

other then that, the classic big games but i dont have much time to play them. (planning a week in july to finally play fallout 4)

used to play more on pc / ps3 but mostly an ipad player these days.
vipris

Postby flap on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:32 pm

2 finnish games (and no, I am not from Finland) :

Lakeview Cabin - Nothing to do with DD at all. But really fun horror game with 4 or 5 episodes. There are free flash version which started everything (in the same way as DD actually)
UnrealWorld - A survival game in medieval Finland, being developed since 25 years...

And a short kingdom development gem : Royals

If you have the guts, you can play DwarfFortress, but it might take some time...
flap

Postby Darvin on Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:10 pm

Over the last year or so I've been enjoying playing competitive pokemon battling. Playing through an online emulator means you don't need to spend hours building your team and can just get down to playing competitive battles. The learning curve isn't as bad as you'd think with there being 700+ pokemon right now; the game is turn-based so you can just look up any pokemon you're not familiar with when you encounter them.
Darvin

Postby Gakato on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:04 pm

For a turn-based game I can highly recommend to have a look at XCOM Enemy Unknown (with or without the expansion Enemy Within). You can save anytime, though a whole playthrough through the campaign in order to save humanity may take a while! :)
Another turn based game which may look quite similar to XCOM, though focuses on stealth is Invisible Inc. In this game you are leading spies and are on a short time frame after being attacked to get your company running again.

Though, to answer your question, currently I'm playing Binding of Isaac: Rebirth + Afterbirth, which is also a rogue like, though not turn based. :)
Gakato

Postby vipris on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:14 pm

vipris

Postby Gakato on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Yes it is a new version, I haven't played the first XCOM Ufo Defense. However, I heard there are quite a bit differences, making the game easier to play, like removing inventory management, and some kind of reaction points or whatever it was called. I think most people like the new version, however, there are also some fans of the old version who think that the new one is dumbed down and as such not worth playing. There are also lots and lots of lets plays on youtube, maybe have a look at those first. :)

If you can play it in a "casual" way depends on what you call casual and what you want to get from the game I guess. I would say yes, as you can save anytime and just continue whenever you like, however I would suggest to complete the missions you are taking, so that you don't have to remember where you need to go on a map, and what happened already etc. I think such a mission should take around an hour, maybe less maybe more, depends on your play style. Between those missions you are managing your base, i.e. build new buildings, manage soldiers, research, etc. which does not require you to remember anything from last time.
Gakato

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons