[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - E3 demo went well

E3 demo went well

All things Desktop Dungeons

E3 demo went well

Postby GoatBot on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 am

Discussion - E3 demo went well
GoatBot

Re: E3 demo went well

Postby fadedc on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 pm

I definitely liked the demo. The only criticism I had was that I don't think it adds anything to the game to have potions take up inventory space. The problem is that it just encourages you to leave them lying around on the floor until your ready to drink them, and that there is no reason to not do this. It doesn't actually add any strategy, it just adds busy work.

On the more positive side, I love the new dungeons. The swamp in particular is very different and creative. I can't wait to see them with everything enabled.
fadedc

Postby Darvin on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Agreed on potions. Unless the dungeon has areas you cannot backtrack to, there's zero reason to waste inventory space on them. I also disliked that we no longer have hotkeys for glyphs. Very annoying when using BYSSEPS between attacks or playing as a sorcerer and alternating between spells and attacks.

Aside from that, this is shaping up to be a big step forward from the freeware version.
Darvin

Postby zeemeerman2 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:46 pm

I thought I read in a thread post *somewhere* that the shortcut kets etc... will work in the commercial version. No need to worry.

My hope is that there will still be a browser-based version synced with your offline application or even with your Steam-version (if any). It's good if you have some quick spare time left and you can't install something on your PC. (e.g. if you're taking a break at your work but don't want to contact the admin three office ranks above you asking to install Desktop Dungeons.)

I also hope it comes in a ZIP/RAR/7z file like the freeware does. So it doesn't mess up with your registry, and you can just copy the entire folder to a USB-stick and take it elsewhere, or play it directly from your USB-stick.

Lastly, what will you do against piracy? Is the client free downloadable and you have to login, like in World of Warcraft and Minecraft (so you're paying for your account, not the application itself) or is it just the regular client that's paid for?
zeemeerman2

Postby samspot on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:16 am

I prefer the freeware character selection menu to that from the e3 demo. Hopefully what we saw there was just a placeholder. I also found that without unlocks to work for, i wasn't very motivated to play the game. I'm not a really big fan of the way the freeware requires you to work for every class and dungeon. Perhaps you could try an achievement model instead? If I could pick anything I'd have you do something like they did for DoomRL http://doom.chaosforge.org/. Their system kept me playing for almost 100 hours!
samspot

Postby fadedc on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:07 am

I actually loved the unlock system in freeware, and the way you got little bonuses for beating dungeons with every class. My understanding is that the unlock system will still exist in some form, but that the little bonuses fpr using all the classes will not. I'm sad about the second part, but I'll keep an open mind to see what it's replaced with.

Interesting, I've heard almost nothing about DoomRL, I may have to check it out.
fadedc

Postby princevaliant on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 pm

The E3 demo did not go "well" - it went brilliantly! I love the new dungeons - slashing through plants was lots of fun.

I still like the idea of potions taking up inventory slots, but I have to agree with earlier posts that it in effect it just means you leave potions lying around on the ground until you need them. *shrug* It's kind of weird but I can get used to it
princevaliant

Postby Bobesh on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 pm

I liked a demo a lot. BUT! What about give access to the E3 demo for users who preordered the game? :) So we can spent some more time with it till the beta is ready!! ;)
Bobesh

Postby PeaceChaser on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:36 pm

The demo was exciting. The same way Desktop Dungeons has evolved in the past, I see it evolving in the future. The demo made it seem like a sequel more than an update. The developers are pure genius.

Only one thing: I want my beta! Now! :D
PeaceChaser

Postby lepoulpe303 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:18 pm

lepoulpe303

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons