[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - 500 Dailies - reflections

500 Dailies - reflections

All things Desktop Dungeons

500 Dailies - reflections

Postby Tinker on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Today we had the 500th DERP, which looks like a nice big round number, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on this cool feature, and maybe some other people will take the opportunity to share their thoughts as well! Anyway; rant ensues! :lol:

I really like how there were no outright unwinnable Dailies. There were some close calls, and there were some Dailies that were unwinnable unless you picked the right prep(s) (usually, wallbreak, or the Wicked Guitar in the case of one specific Goat run; or Taurog in the case of a Half-Dragon run unless you knew about the Whupaz trick). That said, the difficulty of each Daily fluctuates a lot; and if anything, it just sheds light on a basic contradiction in Desktop Dungeons: that it's a fairly hard-core game packaged as a casual game.

I really liked how you can sometimes pick normally impossible prep combinations. Like multiple altars, multiple mage tower preps, or things like the Sticky Stick / Dragon Heart. I would appreciate seeing some more sub-only items being available, at the top of my list is the Cracked Soul Orb, which has become my default preparation for pretty much all of my casual runs (which is basically, misclick protection). I've also used the Gorgward and the Crumbling Ward fairly extensively on specific maps / with specific builds. And I'm sure there are others, I mean the Fake Beard for example is an item both hilarious and tactically interesting.

I really liked the community discussion surrounding each Daily. It has become much more streamlined and it's generated by a handful of regulars, though I think a lot of players do come to check the spoilers posted, and possibly to marvel at the scores of the XP crowd... :lol: And there are some new faces who joined lately, probably thanks to an interesting or toughie DERP more than anything else.

I'm not really sure what the scoring system is intended to show... We kind of made an ad-hoc mini-competition around "Top XP", so now we understand it much better how to get lots of XP in a run; and I know a lot of people use the "Fastest Time" as the competition. Piety seems more of a by-product of high-XP play, and I still haven't figured out what "Damage" is supposed to tell me... I guess this is not so much the DERP's fault (or anyone's, really), it's just that DD is a single-player game that doesn't have a built-in high-score system, and so it's very hard to compare the performance of players who are basically each playing their own game. With hindsight, I guess having a "Badges" column would've been cool, it probably would've triggered more interesting competitions than "Damage" or "Piety" does...

The question of "death confirmation" also came into my mind a couple of times. I'd have a streak of 500 today if there was a function like that. (Ok, not 500, there was one server bug early on, so probably 470 or something), as all my losses were thanks to misclicks or clicking too quickly... which is, really, quite unavoidable; you make probably 100s of clicks during the course of a single game, it's perfectly human to twitch once or twice, this is one reason why you have UNDO in applications. For example, just yesterday I accidentally deleted a bookmarks folder from my browser, I simply clicked "undo" and voilà, it's back! And Firefox didn't even give me a tongue-in-cheek remark about Mr. Kane's sled. (Ok, I just re-read and this sounds too whiny! That's not intended. I don't mind not having a streak of 500, it would be totally boring, and probably at least five other top players would have the same. It's just that it's frustrating each time it happens, to lose a run that I've already thought through how to win, due to clumsiness! :roll: I always want to go back and replay it.)

Now, I wonder what the next 500 Dailies will be like? ;)

By the way, there's also a bit of shameless bragging; I played in every single one of these 500 Dailies, and I still managed to keep a good winrate! :roll:

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Re: 500 Dailies - reflections

Postby letsdance on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 pm

accidental death clicks is the reason why i stopped playing this game about a year ago. really sad :-/ last week i started a new kingdom and played a bit, but it's nowhere as much fun as it could be. i checked here to see if there might be some hope :) but i knew it's in vain :-(
letsdance

Postby zayyeh on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:30 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby Tinker on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 am

Tinker

Postby Lynzkar on Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Oh man, it has really allready been that long scince the DERPs. I really should do them more often.
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Vemb on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:26 pm

Vemb

Postby Tinker on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:05 am

Tinker

Postby Berik on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:15 am

Definitely agree with the call for an 'are you sure' button! I'm not a great player compared to many of you here, but I'd like to think I'm better than a best streak of 14. I'm a bit shaky though, and far too many of my losses come from a mis-click. Haven't played regularly the last few days after my last run was ended when I found myself clicking on a level 8 monster while starting off! :cry: Might need to start going with the right-clicking idea.

Don't want to sound negative though as I've really enjoyed the dailies. I'd run out of steam in playing after getting to grinding the last couple of Vicious dungeons to try and finish them off and had stopped playing much. But I've gotten back into it a lot more since the dailies started up and play most days. Still haven't gone back to finish those Vicious dungeons though!

Seeing what everybody prepares is interesting too. I've found that I almost never prepare a deity, as I find deciding on a deity strategy on the go more enjoyable and like to be surprised by the choice.

I share the uncertainty over how to treat the scores too. I usually play without a plan for the first half of a run, then start to think about building up a reasonable amount of peity later on. That tends to equate to a top 10 or thereabouts in something most runs, but seldom very high in it! A money count would certainly be interesting.
Berik

Return to Desktop Dungeons