[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Money-grinding in the late game?

Money-grinding in the late game?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Money-grinding in the late game?

Postby uugr3 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:38 pm

So, I've got two Bank upgrades left - the last Locker space and one regular upgrade. That's 180,000 gold for both, and I have 65,000 right now - so I need 115,000 more.

Before now, I've been following the burning dungeons and doing all the classes I haven't done on 'em. The problem is that I've been doing that over and over again long enough that I've now rainbowed every non-Vicious dungeon (except Cursed Oasis, which is gilded, and Tower of Gaan-telet, which as far as I can tell doesn't actually give you money for beating it).

Doing some quick math: If I earn about 800 gold per run (which is generally true) and never lose, I have roughly 144 runs left. If each run takes 10 minutes (probably a little long, but also generally true), I need to play for around *twenty-four hours* without doing much of anything in the way of completion progress.

That's insane. There *are* other options, but I'm not sure if any of them work better than what I'm just doing now. PQI has been giving me Vicious exclusively, and they're mostly ridiculously challenging and way above my skill level anyway. Should I start tackling the Vicious dungeons? They have a much lower success rate and cost hundreds in preps - how much do they give? Is the bonus worth it? Does Tower of Gaan-telet actually give no reward for completion, or am I just misremembering? What about VGT? Am I missing something??? Or is there some exploit that lets you get like 5000 gold in one minute by doing something-or-other?

Wow, that's a lotta questions. I'm just, uh, starting to get bored with my current dungeon rotation, but I'm worried that I'll be draining my current cash away if I start tackling Vicious - they're never burning, and I don't remember if they drop trophies/give you a cash reward for beating them.
uugr3

Re: Money-grinding in the late game?

Postby silverkitty23 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:01 pm

If you ignore PQI and just go into vicious dungeons normally, there's like a 200gp bounty just for beating it, over the regular payout, but that's gonna be a slow grind for gold, too.

I've been doing halfling+tinker in eastern tundra over and over with just the black market prep (eastern tundra because it always has a secret subdungeon which you can usually access with your 2 wallbreaking scrolls. tinker because extra money tiles. halfling because it's slightly more potions / conversion than gnome and the 5gp per potion you walk out with can add up when you get 8 or 10 of them) - I clear out the blackspace, convert every glyph, transmutation scroll the shop with the most expensive item (or, if one of them comes up, Keg of Mana or Health become slightly more money if you turn them into potions) and only kill a couple level 1s if they're in the way. Then I 'retire'. No 150gp bonus, but still make 200-300 gold in a rather short amount of time.
silverkitty23

Postby zayyeh on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby choongmyoung on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am

If you just want money grinding, I recommend going burning dungeon with TT goblin assassin, Titan Guitar and bet on boss prepared. (VT if you want) You'll earn 700-1000 gold in every 3 minutes or so, though you'll get used to it eventually. I grinded gold this way and bought everything. If you are interested in, I can give you the detailed explanation.

One other trick is grinding Shifting Passages with Halfling Transmuter. Press L for 5 seconds, convert every glyphs, take every gold and potions, and get out. This is slower than TT assassin grinding though.

However, money is not very critical to your runs. Veto slots are not very critical you know. Locker slots are also not very important after 6-7 slots. If you want specific quest item to prepare, go to Shifting Passages with transmuter, press L for 5 seconds, and find the item. Dungeon gold preperation (max 30 gold) only differs for 1-3 golds maybe, and most time it's not critical also.
choongmyoung

Postby uugr3 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm very interested in the detailed explanation. Assassin is pretty excellent in general - what do I need to know (and why Titan Guitar?)
uugr3

Postby silverkitty23 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Titan Guitar: everything is pre-slowed so +1 exp when you beat it on levels and then assassinate it, and you don't have to worry about getting locked out of anything or having to kill something early because it's in the way.

With Tiki Tooki you can basically open the level by finding a useless glyph, becoming level 2 and then getting 50 piety from the 10 level 1s, buying learning on the way, so you're rolling in bonus exp as you progress through the levels...

I'm curious about the boss-beating strategy. Worshiping TT, you can't spend ALL your piety on the reflex+dodge potions because you need a comfortable buffer for all the damage you'll take - so you only have a 25% dodge, with a couple guaranteed dodges... but your character isn't overall super impressive or rolling in extra potions because ALL goblin gave you was levels. I can do that easily enough in hard dungeons with 1, mayyybe 2 bosses; but 3 boss dungeons, or vicious dungeons? I mean, I beat Dragon Isles using a goblin assassin, but with luck, expensive preps, and no piety penalty for all damage taken from prepping TT
silverkitty23

Postby uugr3 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Of note is that, if we're doing Burning, no Vicious dungeons will be done, and the 3-boss dungeons (magma mines, rock garden, creeplight ruins) are all fairly easy. Didn't think of the free slow EXP - is it more worthwhile than Midas Gloves as a money-grinding prep?
uugr3

Postby silverkitty23 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Well, Gloves of Midas can get you 39-42 gold (up to 54 with 3 bosses and the 8-level-1 enemies secret subdungeon, and hitball for the regular subdungeon), but actually winning handily with Bet on Boss and fire takes a 150 gold reward up to 675 gold. More to the point, it saves a ton of time because you don't have to think very much to win. Since my last post, I tried this loadout out a couple times, and scored 750 gold in hex ruins, followed by 1075 in western jungle because it was 1 boss only so I took the Vicious Token. And I spent <6min in each. TT piety was plentiful, and he gives you 10 gold when you take learning or dodging (I took 2 levels of learning, dodging, and still had piety to do health potion->reflex + quicksilver 3 times).

My entire prep was Bet on Boss, TT, Titan Guitar (and Vicious Token the second time). So, anyway, easier than I thought when I posted earlier.

Though now the fire is on Cursed Oasis and I'm not looking forward to that :)
silverkitty23

Postby uugr3 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:07 am

Gobsassin of TT is really, really easy in basically all circumstances, Titan Guitar or not, so I don't think winning is a problem. Midas Gloves with that build is getting me a fairly consistent 800-820 a run, which would, of course, be more with VT. I'm not sure if Titan Guitar, like, helps you do something crazy to get lots of money out of TT/something else.

(choongmyoung ???????)
uugr3

Postby Tinker on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:40 am

I don't think I ever did much money grinding. I just kept playing and eventually I had enough money to buy all of the upgrades.

I maxed out the Veto slots first because I found those to be very useful; of course if you're willing to scum, it doesn't matter, you can just reload a map until you get the right items. I never liked to scum, so for me it was useful to skew item probabilities.

Locker slots are not that useful though. Most people just use it as a trophy room anyway. I normally used the same 2-3 preps all the time until I started going for mostly purist runs. I see no point in upgrading beyond 6 slots. That allows you to keep your favorite staples in stock (I normally had Titan Guitar / Dragon Shield / Mage Plate / Crumbling Ward plus two rotating slots to host whatever caught my fancy).
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons