Suggestion: Messenge item

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion: Messenge item

Postby zeemeerman2 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:07 pm

I'd like to call this item a "Scroll," but after what Bethesda said about Notch's new game, I'd rather settle on a Message.

Our kingdom's greatest warriors have fought against many evils, some have returned, other haven't. Though, they might not be the accused ones. Well, Donald the Almighty is, but that's not the point. That is a story of its own.
My liege, please listen. Every time we send our newly trained hero in the unknown darkness to vanquish evil, and they've failed, it might be not entirely a loss. It might be true that the Goblins fled with all the riches our heroes possessed*, that the Gnolls had a nice meal from the corpse of our lost fighter, and that the Naga would create a new statue for their front yard from the remaining pieces. It might even be true that the Vampires would resurrect our hero to increase their army when the Gnolls and the Vampires aren't looking.
But there's one thing that now goes lost and shouldn't go lost: knowledge.
Our Mathemagicians made some improvements with their Mathemagics. They can now inscribe a piece of Message that a wearer can possess, holding knowledge about the surroundings around him. Because of the secret language of the Message, most people can't read it. Most people would read it as just zero's and ones, but the Mathemagicians can read it fluently. The magical Message will script itself (I don't know what that means.) to write on itself what it knows, filter only the important things and teleport back to the city once it can't feel the wearer's life anymore.
I hear you think: WEYTWUT? It seems beyond magic to me, too. But the Mathemagicians are sure about their work. They can simplify our future lives, making better preparations for heroes to enter the darkness once again.

*We have some interrogations with the Goblins to regain some of our lost stuff, for the ample fee of 100 coin.

SUGGESTION: Preparation -- Memory Message: If you die while wearing this in a dungeon with a random boss, the next time, it will be the same boss.
zeemeerman2

Re: Suggestion: Messenge item

Postby The Avatar on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Okay... I guess.

Would be kind of nice but not that necessary and the one thing is you would have to kill your hero for it to work which is annoying for beginners who don't want to pay the fee to recover their tri-sword.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby zeemeerman2 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 pm

True point; maybe not formulated well.
Many lower-level dungeons can depend on the random boss they encounter to decide if it's a win or a loss. But if you know which boss you'll get, you can prepare much better towards it. E.g. if you have a mage-class character and encounter a boss with 75% magic resistance, you'd know you'd better have taken another class character.

Maybe a retire option in addition to death to trigger?

By the way, I play this game for a longer while now, and while I'm not an expert by all means, I've unlocked quite a bit. My gold is about 2000-3000 now, but I've never unlocked the tri-sword. I have to do it with the Hero's Helm. Are you sure the tri-sword is a beginner's weapon? (If you unlock the tri-sword, are you still a beginner and do you still have gold issues?)
zeemeerman2

Postby gjaustin on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm

The Trisword is available very early and you get it by beating a specific Normal dungeon with one of the best classes (Warlord), so I think calling it a beginner's item is fair.

More closely on topic, I'd prefer to see the message be taken as a preparation on the second run. Having to take it ahead of time encourages scumming (i.e. entering with just that prep until you find the boss you want).
gjaustin

Postby zeemeerman2 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm

To the trisword: Oh? I'll have a look then.

To the message: that's a good idea, gjaustin, better than mine. Just made up some text so it would fit lorewise. Lore to gameplay isn't always so a good transition. :)
zeemeerman2

Postby The Avatar on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 am

Better now, but I don't really think I'd use it.

I've done everything in the game (Including beating every vicious dungeon) and I don't think I even went into Random boss dungeons later in the game except for money scumming if I blew 3000 or so on a tough dungeon or quest.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby MuF on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:23 pm

It could be good for Grimm's Grotto, but that's about it.
There's only a handful of random boss dungeons to start with, and I think if you actually lost to a boss, you just don't want to fight it again, you'd much rather try it against another one who looks easier for your class.

As most (all?) quests in random boss dungeons are class based, you're unlikely to want to switch classes, except maybe if you've got several classes to do and catch a really interesting boss for one class. But if you have to dump your current run to boost your next one, it doesn't seem very appealing.

So yeah, it's an interesting idea, but I don't think it works well in this form. There might be something interesting to do with such mechanics though.
MuF

Return to Desktop Dungeons