[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby srid on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Congrats chandl34 !!!

Now you can backup your save and try the Extreme Edition :-)
http://ddmod.weebly.com/

Your post gave me the courage to try Rat Monarch VGT once again and I finally did it!!!

My first run started really well, I even had the luck to get the Golden Statue in the first dungeon and to use it
as a cueball to reduce a Tower of Goo to 1 at lvl 2, but then I realised I couldn't kill it because I did not have Burndayraz
and my Pisorf was doing 0 damage :-(

I rage-retried and my following run was successful but horrible, I felt like I played really badly, even with the best of luck, I had prepped Draining Sword and bought Vampiric Blade, Plate Mail and Soul Orb, plus Burndayraz and Halpmeh, but I did many mistakes, had to convert my Soul Orb and use all my potions, and then the last sub popped 2 Mana Burn guys with NoEXP. Luckily I had one popcorn left to lvl up afterward but I had to kill the 2 Mana Burn without magic and I burnt most of my remaining blackspace doing so (my bloodpools were already very sparse).

When I reached Horatio, I thought that I would lose, and it turned out to be the easiest fight ever:
He did me exactly 0 damage while he was not Berserk, and after that I finished him off in 4 or 5 strikes
without even having to regen at all.

I was so happy that I forgot to take a screenshot, but I finally have that rainbow halo!

I'm far from the rainbow road, though, this is the second dungeon that I rainbowed. All of my Normals and Hards have been completed with Half the classes, and my other Vicious have been completed with 4 or 5 classes only. So much more to go...
I am currently at 316 hours according to Steam, but I also played outside of Steam as well.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby chandl34 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Last edited by chandl34 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
chandl34

Postby chandl34 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 pm

chandl34

Postby chandl34 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 am

Finished off Triple Quest three, so I'm now 100% complete on all official Desktop Dungeons content. It took about 5-6 attempts, but I was able to beat the third part on my first try. That last battle against the avatars was a lot of fun. I had plenty of close calls with piety and health. Maybe I just got lucky, but I think the second part was harder. The physical immune boss takes much more mana than expected. I used 3 schadenfreudes and 4 mana potions to kill him.

chandl34

Postby AvovA17 on Sat May 19, 2018 3:39 pm

AvovA17

Postby srid on Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

srid

Postby General_Milky on Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 am

I also think rainbowing dungeons is a rather tedious task, and doing the vicious dungeons rainbow sounds like a good way to rage quit the game for a long while. I much prefer hitting "random run" and trying them purist for my casual (as in, no specific goal) play.
General_Milky

Postby srid on Mon May 21, 2018 6:37 am

Actually, now that I've rainbowed VGT and that I feel that my game has improved a lot,
I don't dread the other Vicious dungeons runs as I used to when I first did the first times I ran them.

I even take the chance to put some variety and test builds, for instance yesterday I did two interesting runs:
Human Paladin of EM in Namtar's Lair, with prepped Titan Guitar for... well you know.

I managed to get 15 DR (and +60 health I guess) out of it, unfortunately I did not find the Platemail but still,
Namtar's butt probably still remembers being kicked this hard.

I also did a very interesting run with an Elf Warlord of Mystera with prepped Avatar's Codex.
When using the Codex, I often die in a silly way because I start spamming Burndayraz and forget checking my health, so I figured the Death Protection could help.
Turns out I turned the Arena into a bloodbath, partly due to my buying a Platemail, Whurrgarbl, Battlemage Ring and Soul Orb. I didn't drink any potion and didn't need Yendor's Amulet either. Turns out Platemail combines very well with the Codex as with 20 DR, an enemy with 100 damage will only deal 30 damage to you, and takes 90 damage + 10 burn stacks, all for 5 mana. For magic resistant guys, Cydstepp was there to do the job.

Of course, I still dread the day where I will have to do them with the GoatPerson or Rat Monarch, but I still got time for this.

I'd recommend to try it occasionally and not leave all the hardest stuff for the end, because that's the best way to get frustrated, and because beating the hardest stuff will make you better, more confident and will help you enjoy the rest of the game even more.

srid

Postby chandl34 on Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm

I think when I first started my profile five years ago, I ran every dungeon as a warlord. That's an easy class for beginners.
Whenever I ran low on cash, I'd do one of the easy dungeons with classes I hadn't yet. After warlord was done, I switched to another easy class to beat all the other dungeons with and repeat. I'd end up completing dungeons while trying to build a nest egg for vicious dungeons (which can bankrupt you when you're first starting out).
chandl34

Postby uugr3 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I've been... uh... "enjoying" trying to get all the badges on the class challenges - all the ones that seem possible, anyway - and this was probably the hardest one I've gotten so far. Not super crazy, but it was a pretty close victory. Hoarder is actually *way* harder for this level. I haven't gotten it yet, but I've had a couple Hoarder runs where I was only one or two hits away from beating the boss.

Other Class Challenge Badge Highlights include:

- Warmonger/Ding Max on Fighter Bronze
- Warmonger/Feeling Parched on Priest Bronze
- Hoarder on Thief Bronze (way weirder than it sounds)
- Warmonger on Bloodmage Bronze
- Unstoppable on Wizard Bronze (because you have to take out the level 10 Berserkers)
- Pretty much anything on Transmuter Bronze (that one is *hard*!)

I haven't done much else that's particularly hard yet on Silver challenges, and I'm not even *trying* Gold. Those are hard enough to beat on their own, mostly. Might try Thief, Tinker or Crusader, but that's pretty much it.
uugr3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons