Question regarding the game in general.

All things Desktop Dungeons

Question regarding the game in general.

Postby Leonardo_Monetti on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:14 pm

I wanted to ask something... when the game is 'completed' I heard it will be released as a stand alone program, and likely keep the browser version as well. Does that mean that I should expect the same memory issues I have when I try to play the beta?. Just curiosity.
Leonardo_Monetti

Re: Question regarding the game in general.

Postby Leonardo_Monetti on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 pm

No replies?. I want to apologize for the tone at least, just a bit worried about it.
Leonardo_Monetti

Postby Halion on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:00 pm

I think your tone is fine, the reason you likely didn't get a response is that I (and thus presumably others) don't understand your question. What issues/errors are you getting? Is the game crashing? Under what circumstances? etc

If something isn't working right, make a bug report, it is what this beta is for. It'll either get fixed, or you'll have the joy of knowing you caused the devs hours of frustration. :)
Halion

Postby dislekcia on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:53 pm

We were away from the forums for a while, sorry...

What memory issues are you experiencing specifically?
dislekcia

Postby Leonardo_Monetti on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Sorry for the delay in this reply. My main issue is pretty much the same I mentioned in other areas. unity is horrible, it hogs way more ram than I believe it should, and simply crashes. And it's not something I can really reproduce, sometimes it crashes at random, sometimes it doesn't. I can't start desktop dungeons on firefox because the browser pretty much crashes hard. Only way I managed to start it with any degree of success is chrome, and even then I have to wait well over 5 minutes, and deal with a lot of 'X is no longer responding, abort?'. Not to mention even when it runs, if I even dare to look at something else, things can get unstable. I am not blaming the game itself, I am blaming unity, and thus, ym question, if the 'released' version, the non web one, will be exactly like this one, or hopefully migth be... well, more compatible with lower end pcs.

For refecence, my system has 1 gb of ram, yet, while the game loads (and while it's runnning) my ram usage goes over 1.6 gb, which I am not fully sure should happen.

Basically, it's been keeping me from playing the game since before the transmuter was added.
Leonardo_Monetti

Postby mass09 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:59 am

Update Unity + Chrome to the latest versions. My Chrome memory usage when running Desktop Dungeons is about 150mb.
mass09

Postby dislekcia on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:10 pm

That seems to be an issue with the Unity plugin - Can you check to see if it's up to date?

As for the standalone version, no it won't use the webplayer plugin - Unity actually compiles a completely different codepath for standalone executables, so I'm not expecting the same sorts of interop issues that you're experiencing with the web player.
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons