A wild HTML-based Desktop Dungeons appears!

All things Desktop Dungeons

A wild HTML-based Desktop Dungeons appears!

Postby GoatBot on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:36 pm

GoatBot

Re: A wild HTML-based Desktop Dungeons appears!

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 am

Hmmm... actually getting tough to test the deities now. Unlocked Earthmother on my first game, but haven't seen her appear as an alter since. I didn't have IMAWAL in that one game, but I didn't find any other way to gain piety with her. She also seems to only get angry when you kill regular plants; plants with special effects you can kill and she doesn't care. Not sure what to think of her boons yet, but -1 damage taken is a pretty weak effect unless you can get it at a very low level.
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:47 am

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to force a particular deity to spawn - if only for beta testing. (That's actually something I'd appreciate for items and glyphs, too...)

Earthmother grants a free IMAWAL if she's your initial deity. Converting from another deity will give you enough piety for Plantation, which is a lot better than it was in the alpha (there are more ways to remove or avoid plants, and as Darvin noted she only punishes for killing mundane plants), and it was already pretty decent in the alpha. The anti-poison boon seems fairly useless to me, although I suppose it makes it easier to clear a path through all the plants she creates; perhaps it should also remove one layer of corrosion. The plant removal boon is probably necessary, although I keep forgetting to manually clear out as many magical plants as possible, first (if it's possible to kill them without harm, it's a waste to let the boon remove them). On the other hand, Earthmother's punishment is another that can be safely ignored in certain circumstances (specifically, if you're relying exclusively on CYDSTEPP, BURNDAYARZ, or PISORF).

My one Earthmother run was with a CYDSTEPP Elf Rogue, so I mainly tried out the conversion point boon; it's decent, probably a lot better with an Orc or maybe a Dwarf, but seems a bit underpowered to me (an Elf can get MP far more efficiently from Dracul or even Mystera). I can see the shield boon being very strong with the right class and glyphs, particularly since that form of damage reduction is unaffected by enemies that reduce resistances, but I'll wait until I actually get Earthmother with the right class to test that theory.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:20 am

The conversion point boon is mostly good if you can't get a competitive effect from elsewhere. Dracul already offers a very cost-effective magic-based boon, and Mystera (if you have a way to get around those resistances) also offers mana at a cost-effective margin. For most class/race combos, I can really only see doing this to "top up" my conversion bar if I'm just short of the next level.

Agreed with you on poison; there's already two types of potions and a glyph for removing poison, an item that grants poison immunity, and another deity which has a boon that removes just about every debuff without any downside. And it's not like poison is a game-ender if you can't cure it; it goes away when you level up (unlike the more dangerous weakening and corrosion). This boon needs to do more.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:10 am

Can someone please type her boons out for me? I won't be able to acess a computer for awhile.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby 232 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Playing around with the new menu:

* Select dungeon
* Select class/race
* Reselect dungeon
* Auto-advance will turn off (I suppose this is deliberate)
* Click on new dungeon
* The Dungeon, Class/Race and Preparations screen will be overlaid over the dungeon description, instead of the latter completely disappearing.

Also, perhaps a "clear all" button would be handy? That said, you'll probably get 3 different opinions on whether it should be included or not. Perhaps clear all with the cancel button?

On a side note, it's neat to see how the different class portraits change with race. Was always there, but now much easier to see the differences. Goblins look weird...

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:27 pm

I really don't get why I would ever choose the earthmother as my god. She doesn't seem to have any worth while boons except the conversion point one...

The one boon which makes almost no sense to me is vine form. It would be okay at low levels but it quickly loses relevance.

The only time I even used her was in venture cave which is probably the best dungeon for her, and I still didn't find her very helpful. I did manage to squeeze out 240 conversion points which was GREAT for my orc, but for other races without stacking bonuses 1 or 2 conversions just isn't that helpful. Am I just not getting the strategy?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:18 pm

You're not alone, Avatar. I can see using her as a (literal) piety farm, but that's about it. Her boons are low-cost, which is nice, but they're also low effect. For most races, her conversion point boon is only useful to "top off" a conversion bar that's already nearly full. The only reason I think this works well for orc is that we currently have no deities that offer a reliable +attack boon, so this is really the only one available in the current build. If we had a dedicated +attack boon, I suspect this would be regarded as a waste for orcs as well.

For those still wondering (man it took a lot of attempts to get her to spawn):

Plantation (5 piety)
Grows a plant on every bloodstain on the current screen (acid excluded) and grants 5 piety for each plant created in this way.

Clearance (5 piety)
Removes 10 random plants from the map

Greenblood (5 piety)
Cures poison, creates 5 random plants.

Entanglement (5 piety)
All enemies on the current level are slowed, creates 5 random plants.

Vine Form (5+3 piety)
Grants permanent damage reduction of 1, creates 5 random plants

Power of Earth (5+3 piety)
+20 conversion points, and creates 5 random plants

Only confirmed source of piety other than plantation is IMAWAL. Only confirmed way to anger her is killing regular plants (the ones without special effects).
Darvin

Postby glownmelby on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Nobody's commenting on the re-making of the alpha? Pretty cool stuff!
glownmelby

Postby hasya101 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 pm

wow. awesome,great work with the HTML 5 !!
i bought the current version, and althrough it works fine now, (and the save bug is gone *phew*, the constant dialoges are anoying, and the over all feel is just plain chaos. please make it as simple as this again.. :)
hasya101

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons