Request for help thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Request for help thread

Postby Declan on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:17 am

I have read various reports on how to beat some dungeons, but have been as yet unable to do so. Enjoy the game greatly but just don't see how to beat the Wizard, Sally Forth, Martyr Wrap or Avatar dungeons. Reading a specific race class suggestion doesn't really help. While not complaining about the difficulty, is there a way for those of us having trouble to have one place to ask for help, rather than scouring the forums?
Declan

Re: Request for help thread

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:51 pm

This is how you ask for help...

Deep Swamp: You need to play a mage tower class and have piercing wand (I recommend Bloodmage). Unless you find WEYTWUT you need to make sure you clear out one side of the map. Feel free to use those blood pools for hard fights as you can't reach them later. Get dracul as a god and if you are an elf make sure you have 24 mana for the boss (Gnome:18)
Use Blood curse before the boss for the extra piety and fireball damage.

As for Slime Pit with monk, since I don't want to type it all up again, just look at the thread Slime Pits is really Hard! (It might be Slime Pits is Really Cheap!)

Demonic Library: As you can tell this is my favorite dungeon so I'm glad to help! Be a human rogue with tri-sword, scout altar, magnet: fireball, and, if you have witch level 3, whupaz, quicksilver, and reflex potions. Immediately find CYDSTEPP or MA's altar ASAP. If you find MA use fireballs for 10 piety, get glyph magnet and CYDSTEPP, If you don't rinse & repeat till you do. Use CYDSTEPP to kill high level efreets and goats. When you can kill him in 3 shots, challenge Pervivolcan Ze. When you can kill them in 2 shots kill Maeostrel Pa and Aphelion. Last when you can kill them in 3 shots take out, Perivolcan Pa and Maeostrel Ze. If Dracul is there get him now convert all life into extra mana for the avatar. 25 is optimal. Go down the stairs. Immediatly quaff whupaz, reflex and Quicksilver for the first hit and the rest is up to CYDSTEPP. (Because it doesn't matter if Dracul gets mad when you have one hp). If you don't have the potions and this doesn't work hope for some lucky dodges. My first time I didn't have Dracul or the potions. This will take a lot of patience.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Declan on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Thank you very much, I'll give it a shot. Do you know if there is a thread to get the Dragon Shield? I appreciate your time.
Declan

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Who is the wizard?

You get the dragon shield via beating the matron of flame which is easy with a taurog berserker. Regen fight first boss use potions on elites, regen fight others. Use whupaz on matron, then regen fight and unstoppable fury. It really isn't that hard.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby ironicmuffin on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:36 pm

I've been struggling on Magma Mines (Complicated Tasks Part 6), which I'm guessing gets you a lvl 3 witch. Any tips on that? I've tried the strategy I've seen elsewhere using Glowing Guardian as an Orc, getting enlightenment and using absolution, but I can rarely get to lvl 7, and if I do, I have no staying power against the first boss since I have no piety left.

Also, as a side note, I've been working under the assumption that Orc > Human overall, such that I never play a human anymore. Is that true? Is there a reference to the math behind it somewhere that explains it? Thanks.
ironicmuffin

Postby FDru on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Orcs are generally better for any class that gets percentage bonuses to attack. That's... pretty much all of them, and most attack boosters are percentage based as well. The thing is that humans get nothing extra from percentage bonuses, since their bonus only works off of base damage. Humans are technically the better race to use tri-sword with, but assuming you're going for brute force, the percentage bonuses other classes get still make Orc the stronger of the two.
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:03 pm

For Magma mines you have to get rather lucky...
Getting GG asap and then finding HALPMEH should do it. Either Dwarf with dragon shield or human/orc with trisword.
Humility immediately and then enlightenment asap. Use all extra piety for heals after you grab absolution. Seriously recommend bringing burn salve and Schaudenfaud potions. AND DO NOT CONVERT BURNDAYRAZ UNTIL THE 100% PHYSICAL RESIST BOSS IS DEAD!

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Remember, you only have to get the feeling parched award, which allows you to drink special potions.

The Avatar

Postby Declan on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I am up to level three, but need to beat the berserk level with the wizard to get more potions (Strength is a must equip, but I wonder what comes next)
Declan

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:46 am

Find Taurog and convert glyphs to 50 piety. Use strength potion and kill a level 3 as your first kill after getting the sword and shield. Continue to level up by regen fighting berserkers one level above you and get the rest of taurogs stuff, leaving the helmet on the ground. At level 7 with 90 piety start fighting. Hit him once then regen till he is above 75% and potion for another hit. Use unstoppable fury, desecrations, and buy a badge of courage. Hope you last...

Also, some on some computers you don't get the warmonger award even if you don't use glyphs. If this happens to you (I recommend you test this.) convert the glyphs off the ground, and make sure there is never a glyph in your inventory.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons