Locker Space!!!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Locker Space!!!

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:02 am

Developers have commented here

I have to fundamentally disagree with you. Currently lockering stuff isn't a decision, it's a chore that takes away from the fun and spontaneity of the game. I do not have the Rock Heart in my locker, which means one way or another I need to do some scumming to play a Transmuter to his full potential... and as a result I rarely play Transmuter. No matter how well you balance the items, there will always be reliable standby choices that will populate the majority of people's lockers, and this limits your ability to try a different approach on a whim.

Now, I do agree that there will never be enough locker space to satisfy us, which is my suggestion is for the space to get exponentially more expensive. Let's say 10k GP for the 7th slot, 20k for the 8th, 40k for the 9th, 80k for the 10th... even I would only have 9 locker slots currently. This would add a gold sink for the inordinate amounts of cash some of us are bringing in, while also granting that wish for extra locker space.
Darvin

Re: Locker Space!!!

Postby 232 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:05 am

Completely agreed. While infinite locker space is evidently not practical, I don't feel six is either. Personally I'd be happy just with 9. 6 locker spaces for 13 (possibly more) classes just isn't sufficient.

Postby q 3 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:07 am

The issue for me is that replacing a locker item is pure grinding - enter Venture Cave with 25 gold and scout shops, buy the item if it's available, else repeat. That's a very tedious process, and serves no purpose other than to be tedious. The only exceptions are items that aren't available in shops, of which only four are worth lockering (Avatar Mark, Namtar's Ward, Dragonshield, Sensation Stone), and if you're at the point where you've beaten those dungeons and are willing to discard their treasure from your locker, beating them again is less of a challenge and more of a grind. "Either accept what you have on hand, or grind more" is not, to me, a meaningful decision - or at least, it's not the sort of meaningful decision that I associate with Desktop Dungeons.

I like Darvin's idea. I'd like it even more if you could simply go shopping for locker items directly from the kingdom, without having to enter a dungeon. As I've noted previously, it's especially frustrating during beta testing, when I'll often want to test a recently changed item or see if a particular combination is overpowered, except that the item in question isn't in my locker.
q 3

Postby dislekcia on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 am

Remember that shops aren't complete yet. The Bazaar is only at lvl 1 in the beta at the moment. It does get upgraded eventually ;)

Also, if we made it 9 slots, then everyone would want 12. Or 1 slot per character class/building/dungeon/etc. It is a compelling argument to think about offering slot upgrades via the special edition building though...
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Pleeeeeeease be in the next update. PLEEEEEEEEASE!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Another solution might be to give the vicious boss drops (Dragon Shield, Namtar's Ward, Avatar Sigil) their own slots.

This would eliminate the problem I have where I never use the Ward and infrequently use the Sigil, but keep them in my locker to avoid having to beat those dungeons again.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:23 pm

Well that's an intuitive solution
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby jjflash on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:45 am

that would be a great idea
i...cannot...die...
regards,
The Indomitable
jjflash

Postby Darvin on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:41 am

Not having to devote locker space to the artifacts would greatly alleviate things, though I'd still like the ability to expand the locker at an ever-increasing cost.
Darvin

Postby subanark on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:56 am

Here is hoping for the upgraded Bazaar to make what shops stock less random. Either by guaranteeing that they provide an item you want or black listing items you don't want. These hard dungeons have the effect of requiring several restarts until we get the items we want.
subanark

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons