[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Okay, take this!

Okay, take this!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Okay, take this!

Postby The Avatar on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:39 am

The problem with people like us is we played the Alpha which highly encouraged you to beat everything with everything.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Troggle on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:20 am

Troggle

Postby The Avatar on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:07 pm

I think it should be simply beating every dungeon...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby FDru on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:14 pm

In the Alpha, "beating the game" (to me) was beating every dungeon with every class. So far, I haven't done that and it still keeps me coming back to it (though I've beaten every dungeon with every class except for the Changeling, including the boss hive). I still haven't completed Lothlorien though, and only up to Gauntlet level 10.

Back to my previous comment, though. I consider a game that's unwinnable to be a crippling flaw, so for example if I could choose a monk and go to the slime pit, but never win because it was impossible (hypothetically speaking, since I know that is possible), it's just a waste of my time and a game that wastes the player's time with impossible stages is a fail.

Bear in mind that I don't consider million to one odds as "possible" even if they technically are. So since relying on, say, 100 dodges in a row at 10% chance to beat a dungeon isn't going to happen in any of our lifetimes it doesn't count.
FDru

Postby SnapDragon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm pretty new to DD, but right now it seems like the most compelling goal in the Beta is to finish all the quests, which includes (as a subset) beating all the dungeons, and also requires you to play with a number of different classes in different situations.

If the goal is just to "beat all dungeons", then class balance becomes extremely important, and I don't think there's any way all of the classes will ever be balanced in that way. Some will always be easier to win with than others (generally AND for specific dungeons). And why waste so much effort worrying about class balance when playing with an underpowered or an overpowered class are each fun in their own way? Quests prod you to experience both of these extremes.

(Incidentally, the same balance issue applies to preparation choice. So far I've only seen quests with "no preparations allowed" or "all preparations allowed"... it'd be nice to see some with a preparation limit. Do they exist?)

Whether the goal is "beat all dungeons" or "beat all quests", I guess it's inevitable that you hardcore endgame players will eventually exhaust everything and make up your own challenges. I agree that it'd be a shame if it simply wasn't possible to light up all the "completed with..." classes on the map screen. My OCD nature would rebel. ;) It'd be nice if there was some way to make it obvious that certain dungeons are only meant for certain classes, without actually preventing endgame players from taking inappropriate classes in and experimenting.
SnapDragon

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:09 pm

The real goal is completing every dungeon and quest for us hardcore extremists with too much free time. The ultimate vicious difficulty dungeons don't have quests (excluding the tower), but they do have cool item rewards, and of course they are just cool dungeons. They are definitely worth completing, in addition to all the quests.

The Avatar

Postby Zaratustra on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm

I got the quest for the Shifting something but the dungeon hasn't appeared. Do I need to fulfill another quest first?
Zaratustra

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 pm

Beat Northern Desert, rock garden, then Oasis level. It is the next unlock.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:38 pm

dislekcia

Postby Rithe on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Not sure when this bug popped up, so I'll include it with the newest version.

Playing through the first set of Challenges, the Positioning one specifically. You are told to convert WEYTWUT because wizards get mana from converting runes. Problem is, I'm not getting any mana. I need to see if this is just a Challenge thing, or class as a whole. But I'd think someone would have noticed that problem if it was as a whole.

[edit]
Ha, silly me. I'm not even in the most recent update post...

In any case, it seems to be something with the whole wizard class. I went into an easy dungeon to check. Human Wizard, at least, cannot convert runes for mana.
[/edit]
Last edited by Rithe on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rithe

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons