[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Quick Game Mode

Quick Game Mode

All things Desktop Dungeons

Quick Game Mode

Postby Halion on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:35 am

The beta of Desktop Dungeons has added a lot of interesting and challenging dungeons, and very much expanded the variety of different challenges offered by the game's levels, and beating some tricky set ups is reminiscent of specific challenges from the alpha.

The alpha version also had a strong casual appeal, though, with the "fifteen minute dungeon crawl" element often mentioned in reviews and descriptions. That sort of gameplay is retained and entirely possible within the new version, but I think the presence of the many tricky quests and complex dungeons (which leverage the depth of strategy both in-dungeon and in preparations that the game offers) overshadows the kind of quick and simple gameplay experience that many players enjoy.

I would suggest adding a "casual mode" option to bring explicit focus back to that form of gameplay. In casual mode, you jump into the action on one of the more traditional dungeons quickly. There would be a simple button on the menu at the side of the screen labelled "quick game" or similar, clicking it would randomly choose a race, a class and a dungeon and play would begin with a single click.

While the point of the option is to skip most pre-game choices, a menu that could customise the quick game experience slightly is a possibility. The menu would be a set of check boxes that were referenced when the game begins, rather than options selected from at the time (Because that setup is already present).

A list of menu options might look like the following:
- Simple dungeons only (Venture Cave, Den of Danger) vs a more varied rotation (Chokebox, Spike Trouble, Grimm's Grotto and Doubledoom).
- Entirely random race and class vs preferencing classes you have yet to beat that dungeon with.
- Starting with no cash vs an option unlocked via the bank.
- Having regular shops vs a shop option unlocked via the bazaar.

Having more options for preparations is probably overcomplex, since the regular interface covers all of that if players want, the cash/shop ones are present because they're nonspecific and would play well in a random game.

This sort of option may be irrelevant to many players, hardcores, veterans, etc (including people like me), but casual gamers are a huge market, especially if you want to move onto platforms like tablets and phones, and the fact that the game already caters so well to this sort of play means it would serve it well to highlight the playstyle and promote ease of use. I can see some players playing in this way as their primary contact with Desktop Dungeons, and others transitioning through it into the many more challenging dungeons. It would also serve as a fallback for players struggling with some of the tougher content, they can just kickback and solve a randomly provided regular puzzle dungeon.

Just a few thoughts, I continue to enjoy playing this game.
Halion

Re: Quick Game Mode

Postby Alweth on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:49 am

How just an "Auto-prep" button that would choose your loadout for you? The decision could be done this way:

The online version of DD records stats for each item. For each race/class/dungeon combo, when an item is prepared, it records whether that game was a win or not. Among possible items, the auto-prep option chooses the prep items with the highest win rate for that race/class/dungeon combo, excluding items that have a lower than (say) 51% win rate. It then recommends those items.

Regarding your idea: Not that I think that this is a bad idea, but are you sure casual gamers would really care about such a feature? I've never played FarmVille, but I have a feeling that a lot of what the Beta does is move more toward FarmVille by giving you more of a sense of progress and development. I think casual gamers like that. It's not like DD has become Civilization--not even remotely.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby Halion on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 am

I'm thinking of a casual model of "sitting on the train with a tablet playing a quick game". So Sudoku or Angry Birds more than Farmville.
Halion

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:11 pm

I like hallion's idea. As for the win percentage, seeing as I only use a tri-sword when scumming for CYDSTEPP in vicious areas, this would destroy my percentage unfairly.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Alweth on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:32 pm

This seems much more reasonable, but I also like Hallion's idea of the bank checks, choosing a random dungeon, etc. How about auto-prep for Guild, Den, Church, and tower, but Hallion's stuff for the rest.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Alweth on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:55 pm

I have no problem with Hallion's idea. I am just not sure that it addresses the issue he's trying to address. Both options could be in. My idea for people who don't want to bother with prep, but otherwise enjoy the overall game progress, and his for people who just want a randomish game.
Alweth

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Seprately or together, GREAT!

The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:50 pm

I'd be happy to see Hard and Vicious versions of all the non-themed dungeons. Being only Normal makes them far, far too easy with preparations.

The Hard version would use the Hard stat multiplier and add the monsters from the hard dungeons (e.g. Berserkers, Vampires, Cultists) to the possible monsters that can spawn.

The Vicious version would use the Vicious stat multiplier and start spawning the Vicious monsters. Though I'm coming up blank for any Vicious only monsters.

Man, now I want to do Vicious Doubledoom...
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Burn viper and Doom armor are the only vicious only.

Also, for the hard dungeons, would bosses like ssseth be in the randomizer? It would be a bit unfair if they were, I think, because there is a huge difficulty difference between getting Blah Blah and indomitable vs Medusa and Lord Gobb.

Also, I'm pretty sure Grimm's Grotto has hard/vicious stats anyways.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons