Your most Used Race

All things Desktop Dungeons

Your most Used Race

Postby JonahHollow on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:31 pm

So what's everyone's most used race, I want to see a sort if there's a sort of general average among the forum users.
I tend to use a halfling alot of the time, more than often, those health potions are great especially with the trisword. And I'd have to say my second oft picked race would be orcs.

Does anyone play as Goblins alot?
JonahHollow

Re: Your most Used Race

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 pm

1. Orc
2.Human
3. Halfling
4. Elf
5. Dwarf
6. Gnome
7. Goblin
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:46 pm

1) Human/Orc: Everyone can use extra attack power, even wizards. These are my default choices if I can't make up my mind.
2) Halfling: 5-6 extra health potions is an awesome ability, made even better now that the trisword has been changed
3) Elf: Makes for very powerful paladins that can tank things 3-4 levels higher than themselves.
4) Gnome: Mana potions just don't give you the same mileage as health potions. Still good for bloodmages.
5) Dwarf: I use them for rogues, where being able to take more than one hit makes a huge difference. Otherwise, the halfling gives you more resources in the long run.
6) Goblin: Never bothered. Converting early just means that you are wasting potential bonus xp, and converting late means you're not getting anything out of your racial ability. Nice for getting a mid-fight level up I guess, but there are other ways to do that.
Sidestepper

Postby JonahHollow on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:09 am

The Rouge used to be my favorite class, untill I realized playing it without the dwarven race without the right preps usually means you're going to get stuck at a level from being unable to take enough hits.
The only time I've seen anyone recommend playing as a Goblin was in the ick swamp-monk quest, saying it was easy to get a mid level during the boss fight.
JonahHollow

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 am

Even I've never heard that!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:52 am

I've actually played quite a lot of goblin assasin - i'm not sure how everyone else deals with levels that include plenty of ice trolls and especially animated armors, but the resource advantage of this combo is very nice in my opinion. If the level includs any positioning glyph (endiswall, pisorff or wheytwut) the assasin even has a rogue like first strike against anyone.

The goblin race synergizes quite well with that class, one conversion and a payed tiki-tooki as your piety farm gets you the fighters only usefull ability, a bit of dodge, mana-free poison, and you are certain never to lose any piety as beween all of your abilities and the fireball almost noone will hit you twice. Also, the goblin assasin, when played tight has effotless XP catapults and is probably my favourite combo to play, as the catapulting capabilities sort of pay for his "no-endgame".

I also like a trisword halfling anything nowdays, it's just so cheap.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby JonahHollow on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:55 am

Before I unlocked the trisword, I would always do a gnome whurlgarbl.
Now I really want to go and try your Goblin Assassin suggestion.
JonahHollow

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:14 am

Feels more like I'm writing a tier list more than "my most used race" but eh. Maybe my views won't be the most "common"

1) Human/Orc: Which one you pick is based off how aggressively you convert crap glyphs.

Not only does more damage improve your "burst" damage, it also uniquely allows you to regeneration fight, which is only possible if you can out-damage your enemy. Even if you're playing the magic using classes, getting more physical damage will prevent you from being completely 1 dimensional and losing to Iron Golems or something.

2) Gnome: Mana Burn is more annoying than Poison IMO. Great race for playing Thieves and Sorcerer, anyone trying to use Patches, etc...

3) Halfling: Only for "stamina" stages where you have to gruel through a lot of bosses... but not TOO many bosses (like the last naga city.) and probably only for stages that heavily penalizes magic use that I won't want to use Gnomes.

For the two potion races, they're a lot better for experienced players vs newbies, because the former tends to have better judgement on when to use a potion.

4) Dwarf: In the past, useful only for Rogues. After the 80 conversion rate buff, slightly better that I might consider using for Thieves and Paladins. The thing is that more Max HP only helps for Burst Damage, but not as much as getting more damage. Even if you convert aggressively, at best you tend to only get maybe 1 more attack out of your conversions. In a "general" scenario, a Dwarf tends to lose out to most races.

However, Dwarves do have a niche. If you can't even attack an enemy without dying, then it doesn't matter if you have 30 health potions or 300 attack because you're not going to be able to make use of it without attacking. This is most obvious on Rogues but technically if there was ever a dungeon where the stats on monsters are so high that it would kill most other races in 1 hit but not the dwarf... well, yeah. Dude would be tops then.

5) Elf: I actually wanted to make a topic on this race. But I thought my opinion might be a bit unorthodox. This topic will have to do.

Elf is the only race that has a worse conversion rate compared to the alpha. I think I've seen dev opinions that Elf was overpowered in Alpha but maybe I'm imagining things.

I disagree. I mean, you guys created a campaign that forces you to use Elves entirely and the entire time I was thinking "Oh god, I wish I wasn't an Elf Rogue" or something similar for each stage. If Elves were overpowered in Alpha, it's only because Alpha had alpha Orcs, alpha gold giving Goblins and other such "winners" that elves look awesome in comparison.

Now, elves do have their niches. For example, if you're playing a Transmuter, Elves are the fastest way to get enough mana to execute "The Fireball Combo", as I call it. An Elf Bloodmage is probably better than a Gnome because you can't chug down too many potions in one shot and if you're trying to complete a dungeon that a physical class is completely unsuited for (e.g Fighter vs Tower of Goo), then you pretty much pick Elf... or Gnome.

But max MP only really helps if you reach the arbitary number that allows you to cast 3 fireballs instead of 2 (or 4 instead of 3 etc) and the lower conversion rate means it's harder to hit those breakpoint...which makes it sort of like raising max HP in a way. Also, more max MP means more tiles spent regenerating your MP and as of now, fireball slinging as a strategy is a lot worse than physicals because of how many new abilities that just screws it over, like counter fireball, teleport and spawn plants/regenerate etc.

Other than the niche usage on Transmuters like I mentioned, whenever someone beats a new vicious dungeon it's generally not with Elves. They have fallen quite far if you ask me.

6) Goblin: I'm amazed that the conversion rate for this dude is cut down to like almost half the alpha rate but somehow beta Goblin manages to be worse. Why is this the case? Maybe it's because it's MUCH easier to kill higher level dudes in this level and get bonus EXP due to the number of preparations you can bring, whereas that task was rather tough in the alpha version.

Since the level cap is 10 anyway and Goblins don't exactly earn significantly more EXP compared to the other races (you'll be like level 9 when others end at 8, maybe?)

Assassin is about the only class that likes Goblins. Even then I rather play some other race for said class.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25 am

Funny thing, in the Alpha elfs were exceptional, in my opinion. They just made them look bad by putting you in situations where they stunk.

Hmm... The problem with lowering their conversion rate is with items like Dragon Sheilds for Paladins is you could be seriously powered up! Also, it's not that bad since you can convert items like the bloody sigil and troll hearts to get alot more.

The Avatar

Postby JonahHollow on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:26 am

Why not make it that elves gain 2 mana per conversion instead of one then if they seem underpowered?
JonahHollow

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons