Forum oddities

Talk to QCF .. we love to hear from you

Forum oddities

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Sorry everyone, still trying to learn this forum backend. Right now some of you might need to have your posts approved for some strange reason, I'm trying to get that removed. Hopefully it doesn't take me too long... At least everyone's not a moderator anymore.

(Although, to be honest, you were all super awesome while that was happening. People even started deleting spam! I think this proves that DD players are simply all amazing people.)
dislekcia

Re: Forum oddities

Postby neongrey on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 am

The best thing I've found to kill spambots is the q/a captcha, it should be available by default in any phpbb3 installation-- set up some very easy questions that any real person would know the answer to, if they've gotten to the site for the purposes of actually using it. I've used things like 'what is the name of this game' and stuff like that before.
neongrey

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:25 pm

I've updated the captcha, but I'm pretty sure the spam is human-mediated and then turned over to bots once an account has signed up. It's a small enough volume not to be too automated and yet still steal a good 45 minutes of my day banning and cleaning :(

Yeah, our net access is not really that fast down here.
dislekcia

Postby neongrey on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, it seemed to be the case too on the forum I put that in on, but it seems that even with human control, they can't be assed to take two seconds to look for the answer. I was spending about that long just deleting bots/spammers at that time myself, every day.
neongrey

Postby mass09 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:51 am

Hi, Dislekcia

I found some more problems with the Forums..

Under the members section, the menu bar titles appear in white and is thus not visible. Username, Rank, Posts...
http://www.qcfdesign.com/forum/memberlist.php?first_char=&first_char=

Also at the bottom of the page the following appear : Style by webdesign www , seo
pozycjonowanie stron sem. Which does not make much sense unless you're Polish.

Hope this helps!
mass09

Postby brogue on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:09 am

Well, it has been something common actually to get some problems with some forums as they usually are the target of crashes and some sort of backend problems when it comes to the forum software being used.

That is why when there is something like this, it would be best to make use of the proper additional software, say captcha for example. And though those are not really fool proof, you still could get one over them when time comes.
brogue

Return to General Discussion