[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Help with extra dungeon in the freeware version?(Spoilers)

Help with extra dungeon in the freeware version?(Spoilers)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Help with extra dungeon in the freeware version?(Spoiler

Postby eigenket on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

eigenket

Postby metroid composite on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 pm

metroid composite

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Heh, while that would certainly be interesting, we've already gotten what we were looking for out of the gauntlet. The setup was designed to give all you hardcore players something grind away at, and help us isolate the real runaway feedback loops that would break balance no matter what. Binlor's one of those elements, so that informed the god re-balancing that Nandrew's been doing the past couple of weeks.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:06 am

I'm really curious about the god rebalancing. The idea of playing a Sorcerer that can worship Taurog is enticing, since this was my biggest gripe with the existing system. The absolute strict tenets of most gods were deal killers. For my part, I almost always end up worshipping either Pactmaker or Glowing Guardian since they're the only gods who aren't overly restrictive.

On a side note, your concept for the Glowing Guardian (I'm presuming it's him; no other god really fits the bearded dude) couldn't be more different than how I envisioned him. I always pictured the Glowing Guardian as a towering angelic silhouette illuminated by a blinding golden sunrise that prevents you from making out any finer features. The blue night sky backdrop really made me think "Pactmaker" or "Mysteria", but the bearded man pictured there doesn't really fit either.

For the record, I envision Dracul as a skeletal figure wrapped in ancient once-beautiful robes that have become tattered and faded with age. I see the Pactmaker as a mysterious shroud who wears a cloak of blackest night that twinkles with starlight, revealing only the slightest hint of his face (his eyes obscured by long hair). The Earthmother has the upper body of a female growing out of an enormous oak. Taurog is a gargantuan bipedal demonic bull (complete with nose ring) and an enormous axe. Mysteria is a woman of timeless youth but ghost-white hair, gowned in the finest silk. Binlor is a short and stubby miner with a pickaxe slung over his back. Jehora is a raving lunatic who has long since lost all material possessions and is clothed only in rags, his body and face constantly shifting based on his latest random whim. Tikki Tooki is a short child-like trickster with oily hair who is constantly playing with knives.

I always find it funny when I'm given sufficient time to form my own mental images of a character how vastly different it can be from what the author intended. It doesn't help that the freeware DD is very vague and open-ended about the gods, leaving you only with a brief description and leaving you to envision what they must be like.
Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am

Those are some really vivid concepts.

And you're right, clashing with user's ideas that they've created themselves is always a problem when removing ambiguity. The initial god concepts literally focused only on their altars in order to give players a chance to keep their own imaginings, but the space proved too large to fill with just an altar image, so Lurk improvised :) I'm going to send him a link to your post for possible further inspiration as he works on the rest of the god portraits. Thanks!

You've given me an idea as well: To help safeguard the images that people have of the gods, we could treat the portraits as examples of art made in-world by worshippers of the gods, showing their personal interpretations and not a strict "canon" version. Something like "3rd Century oil painting depicting the Glowing Guardian, artist unknown" (with distressed effects to indicate old canvas) or "'Nail and wood, they work tirelessly' - Anonymous" for the Binlor portrait.

P.S. The Glowing Guardian was always intended as a stern bastard, difficult to please and horribly judgmental.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:49 am

Darvin

Postby Jedit on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Jedit

Postby Darvin on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 am

Hmmm.... not sure. Believe it or not, I haven't even gotten him to renounce me in a long time. Usually I end up with 70 or 80 favor when I worship him, leaving me with 20 or 30 after cashing out my boon. Unless I'm using poison or bludtupower (unlikely, probably already converted them this late) or convert halpmeh or cydstepp (again, unlikely; awesome glyphs) it's basically impossible to hit zero.
Darvin

Postby spoomak on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 am

spoomak

Postby Carl on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:54 pm

I haven't done the whole Binlor thing, not really sure what you guys are talking about, I don't really use Binlor. But I was able to beat Gauntlet up to 46 with the Vampire and Pactmaker. Just explore the whole map and get max Pactmaker peity and use all the extra xp to lvl up very quickly, then hope for an easy boss, preferably Medusa or Tormented Soul and start pumping out the fireballs, attacking an enemy or exploring 1 square (save a few from the initial dungeon reveal) to stop the cost getting too high. When Gauntlet gets high there are a lot of restarts, but usually pretty quick since you just search for Pactmaker and an easy boss. It's possible to get two level up slingshots in if you play it right and leave enough low level monsters around. Things are made even easier with the item that gives 50 experience and anything that increases hp, and kegs of health.
Carl

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons