Way around gold farming

All things Desktop Dungeons

Way around gold farming

Postby blorx1 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Obviously we all know that farming for gold is extrememly boring and a waste of time, so I suggest we change the system for preparations. Rather than being able to spend any amount of money on preparations and having it come out of your gold reserve, have a cap on the amount of gold a player can spend on preparations at any time, and not have money spent on preparations come out of your bank. The gold cap would change based on the difficulty of a dungeon, as well as, possibly the number of dungeons a player has cleared or something. (mabye classes for each dungeon). Although if the latter was enabled it would encourage something similar to gold farming, it would still prevent players from having to repeat the same few dungeons for gold farming. Now this would lead to a large increase in the gold reserves each player had, but this could probably be avoided by making all the buildings much more expensive, as well as the cost of adding more slots for preparations. Plus, we could have a way of paying for more locker slots, so that people still have something to spend money on, and are pleased that we have more locker storage.

This suggestion is probably a bit rough, but as a whole I'd like to see it implemented in some way, since gold farming isn't fun, but the only reason I play this game is the because Desktop Dungeons is fun.
blorx1

Re: Way around gold farming

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:58 pm

If you're gold farming correctly, this should never really be an issue. A full preparation set with max items should cost something around 300 gold, while doing just 1 dungeon can yield 1100+ gold using the BoB preparation along with the taxidermist's high value'd trophy. So, you only have to farm 1 dungeon for every 3-4 times you attempt a real dungeon. Not to mention the fact that quests earn you back much of the money you spend on runs.

So, over 66% of the time you're getting all the preparations you want for the dungeons you want to use them on. Which isn't too bad, considering it only takes 5-10 minutes to farm a dungeon.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 pm

The only time I really ever had to farm was for Naga City (From 10,000 to 0 and then back up to 2000).

Plus, later in the game, gold farming becomes more interesting. Instead of getting some boring old meatloaf as the high value you get a nose ring or de-animated helm. For me, at least, when I am "forced" to do these dungeons I like to experiment and try out new strategies.

Plus, I spend massive amounts of gold when preparing for naga city! (Dragon Shield, Patches, Scout: Altar, Hp to Attack, 50 gold, Elite Items, Whupaz, Schaudenfraud, Brun Salve, Translocation Seal) This totals up to 400ish, I think. (I beat it before elite items and seals so it costed less then)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:57 am

I disagree because I have 30k gold but no real way to spend them. A gold cap on preparation would totally hurt me, in a sense.

Then again, that's just me and my current game progress. I do realize that early game it's tough to scrimp for cash if you don't know what's cost-effective.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:13 am

True, I am stacked on money and a prep cap would crush me! Although I lost a lot of money playing around with the orb of Zot and the Amulet of Yendor.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:00 am

I've got close to 150k gold in my bank right now...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:27 am

Dang, I am waaaaay below that. I feel like a beggar compared to you.

The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 am

150k???? wtf?? I had just over 20k at one point, but i'm back down to 13k after game crashing with the wicked guitar, game crashing with the steal scroll, bad luck on gods during vicious dungeons, failing as a monk trying to get martyr wraps... etc.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:48 am

How did you get up to 150k? I mean did you just bet on a lot of high value stuff?

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:48 am

Is it really that unbelievable? I've been playing the game for roughly 20 weeks, so I've only averaged 7500 per week. If you play some of the normal difficulty levels and try to rack up medals, or pay so much as fleeting attention to the taxidermist, that's pretty easy to average. Heck, I've done 10k in one sitting before. That took less than an hour, by the way.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons