Monks Need Help!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Monks Need Help!

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Monks are probably the worst class in the game because of the new resist caps and whatnot, so gave it some thought and here's what I have so far:

Diamond Body: 50% resist all
Hand to Hand: You can gain no damage bonus from items
Discipline: Doubled regeneration rate

Yes this would be rather overpowered, but you can always put in some -% or base damage, just not very much of it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Monks Need Help!

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Um, I certainly agree that a character that takes half damage with no real drawbacks would generally become considered "rather overpowered"

I rather the Monk keep his damage penalty but gain SOME ability to make him not suck so bad in a level where abilities like Weaken/Corrosive/Lower Resists are common.

Edit: Something like...

Discipline: Doubled regeneration rate. Removes 1 level of a random status ailment (Weaken/Corrosion/Lowered Resist) every 10 squares revealed.
TigerKnee

Postby q 3 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

I like the idea of giving Monks a slightly higher max resistance cap; it's a logical change from their alpha incarnation, where they were balanced (or rather, unbalanced) for a system that had no cap on resistances. 75% max resistance, possibly reducing their initial resistances to 40%, would make them a lot more viable in hard/vicious dungeons without making them overpowered (particularly since their attack is so weak now).

And something to help them through high weakness/corrosion levels would also be a good idea. Maybe they could get a bonus for fighting while afflicted? Something like +1 HP regeneration for every layer of weakness/corrosion could make for an interesting dynamic.
q 3

Postby JonahHollow on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 pm

What if we change nothing about the Monk class but add the ability to be immune to corrosion and weakening, but not poison or mana burn?
JonahHollow

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Then that defeats the purpose of way of the open fist... I mean Ssseth really wouldn't be that hard if he didn't weaken you.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm

Alright... i've got an idea. How about changing those 2 cruddy potions that nobody uses? Have one restore health or improve max health slightly for each level of weakness/corrosion removed, and the other do something similar along the lines of mana instead. This way you could carry a few potions in that would greatly improve one of the biggest challenges for the monk.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:21 pm

I like the idea of lowering their starting resist to 40 but making the cap 75.

Also, How about making the Martyr wraps lower resists 1-2% per hit but make you start with 3 weakening.

The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 am

You can't get martyr wraps until after you've beaten the slime pits with a monk. So if you're suggesting monks to use martyr wraps, it wouldn't help. (I've beaten every dungeon in the game except the tower and the pits.)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 am

No, I was just suggesting another way to get rid of Physical res, cause at the moment it is EXTREMELY hard, especially if you don't pull binlor, cause RBS is a scam.

Also, you beat Naga City with the nerfed stuff... impressive! This used to be the hardest until the tri-sword got nerfed. Now it's slime pits with monk.

Anyways, here's how I recommend beating it.
1. Find MA's altar or HALPMEH asap. If you find MA use Glyph Magnet to get HALPMEH.
2. Begin killing Meatmen twice you're level (Yes you can beat level 8 at level 4), but not the boss.
3. At level 6 take out super meat man using a whupaz potion and excessive regen fighting.
4. Get 1 kill away from the highest level you're going to reach.
5. Prepare for Goo Blob boss by buying all spell caster items or mana potions. Convert to Tikki Tooki grab poison and escape sometime in the process of leveling if you can, cause his poison works like the old venom sword, every hit. Convert HALPMEH
6. Begin fireballing, using potions and regen fighting the goo blob. For regen fighting, don't forget to fireball in addition to attack him when you can.

Prep: Sensory Stone, Conversion Seal, Patches, Brun Salve, Scout: Altar, and of course, Elite items and 50 gold.

This is EXTREMELY frustrating and takes a ton of tries, so be patient.

The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 am

Oh, sorry, I forgot about naga city. I should have beaten that one, but game crashed using an item...... the run was perfect up till then. Grrrr
Crawly McCrawlsa

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons