Naga City

All things Desktop Dungeons

Naga City

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Apparently I just suck, cuz I can't get past killing 5 bosses on this mission.
My closest attempt was with a Gnome Thief. (Conversion seal + sensory stone)
I grabbed TT early and got his poison boon. Switched to MA just after descending.
Found Cydstepp, Keg of Health, Keg of Mana, and Whurrgarbl in the dungeon.
Everything seemed to be going perfectly.... Until I maxed out just before level 7 on the dungeon floor. I didn't want to waste any potions on killing high level naga to get that last bit of experience, so I descended.

Warlock, Meat man, Wraith.
Wasted most of my potions dual fighting the warlock and meat man. Fireballed the warlock to death for a level up before finishing off the meat man. Whurrgarbl was at about +80 or 90% damage at this point (!) So I figured this wouldnt be too bad. That's when I remembered I had poison strike... DOH. Not to mention I misclicked and wasted my cydstepp charge during the fight. Coulda just poison/regen fought the meat man for an easy kill followed by dual fighting the other two.

Anyways, ended up finishing the first three off with only a few potions left. With nearly +100% bonus damage from Whurrgarbl, full health/mana, no debuffs, and a few potions, this was going to be a tough fight.

Tower of Goo, Zombie, Goblin.
I couldn't survive a hit from the goblin, and the zombie was immune to poison, so I went ahead and regen fought the goo. Worked pretty well. But that's where it all came to a sudden halt. 100 or so piety with mystera, I refilled my mana to give myself a cydstepp charge and filled my mana again. Dodge potion'd before taking on the goblin. Cydstepp, Cydstepp, Dodge, Dead. That left me with the zombie. Switched to GG for the health and mana re-upps after consuming my last few potions, but still only managed to get him down to half... Damn you Frank.

So, with the conclusion of my story, I was wondering how anyone else managed to get through this?
I've died against the 6th boss as a Dwarf Rogue with cydstepp, Halfling Thief (No halpmeh spawn), and Gnome thief (No halpmeh spawn). Perhaps I just have to keep running it till I get halpmeh? (or not screw up against first 3 bosses xD)
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Re: Naga City

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Well, Here's a step by step guide of here I did it:

1. Dwarf Thief, prepare Dragon shield, scout: altar, and you're usual decked preparations.
2. Beeline for the Altars and find GG, and HALPMEH asap.
3. Use humility and get up to 100 piety with GG, but DO NOT get enlightenment
4. Grab absolution and switch to drac, buy blood shield.
5. Before descending, buy an agnostics collar and whatever else you want and desecrate GG and the other altar.
6. With the new 50 piety convert to MA. Right before you kill the last of the 3 first bosses spam magic boon.
7. Once you're out of potions switch to GG and use protections.
8. Once these become too expensive, switch to Drac for blood swells.
9. Enjoy beating the pulp out of the Sun-blessed Sissy.

Note: Feel free to desecrate all unused altars for extra piety to facilitate conversions, or to squeeze out another protection/blood swell. As a last resort sacrifice you're hp for more blood swelling.

And no, you don't suck, cause this is probably the hardest dungeon.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:04 pm

That's a pretty good strategy writeup there.

It's also worth pointing out that (pre Dragon Shield nerf) it was certainly possible to beat without Agnostic's Collar. What helped me was going Binlor long enough to get Stone Fist. This helps a lot as you can knock the bosses into each other and use it to get rid of two death protections a pop on the Naga.

Bonus hint for Stone Fist - Knock one of the earlier bosses into a side wall so that there's a gap to stand in and knock the Naga through a straight line of walls
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:51 am

If you can't get GG on the top level, Tikki Tooki also works well (grab dodging) or just go direct for Dracul. I've beaten this with both orc and dwarf thief using agnostics collar and old dragon shield (didn't find HALPMEH either time). Human thief should also be totally viable, though you've gotta be able to survive at least one hit from Bleaty.

I actually wouldn't go for gnome or halfling here. If you're willing to scum for the the berserker sword or trisword to get extra attack power out of your potions then that might be doable, but honestly I think you need more staying power than you can possibly get from potions. Due to all the piety you can get from agnostic collar, the other races will catch up too much based on extra protection and blood swell.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:01 am

Man, I don't know how you did it with an orc...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:57 am

Old dragonshield, patches, judicious use of agnostic's collar... nuff said. Didn't have HALPMEH, either.

Ah, I actually wrote a description of that victory:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=802&start=10#p4004
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:14 am

In fact, it was your write up that helped me see how to do it! I'm not as skilled at finding the solution, but when I know it I don't stop till I've won. Figured out all bit naga city and tower, but these two were very big exceptions to the either lots of low hp freaks or a massively powerful endboss.

The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Damnit... I shoulda brought RBS to deal with those pesky resisters. I made my new record of 8 bosses killed today. If I had killed the wraith as 8 instead of bleaty, I think I could have done it... maybe... In any case. My head is just like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGHH trying to come up with the best order to kill these stupid guys. And I didn't take any judicious use of mid-fight levelups during the struggle either. If I had changed the order of my boss kills, I probably coulda gotten a few extra hits in. And Dracul's max health reducing nerf totally killed it. Now you have to have a minimum amount of piety to use his max health reducer. I was something like 60 or 70 health below what I should have been during that whole 9th boss fight. Stupid wraith... I woulda been manaburned for that pesky naga too. Bleh. Naga city makes my brain want to puke.
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Soooooooo hard............

The Avatar

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 am

It's not even that it's hard... it's just that you have to get everything perfectly in your favor. You need to be lucky enough to get halpmeh + agnostics collar + the correct gods on top + a good order of bosses + good luck from patches bonuses, etc.
Crawly McCrawlsa

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons