[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Your most Used Race

Your most Used Race

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Your most Used Race

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:22 am

I believe humans are better in the long run unless you do more than 7 or 8 conversions.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:34 am

Well, I suppose that it's good news I haven't been stupid the entire time. Orcs are better early on, or with a lot of conversions, right?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:54 am

There's a very weird curve but compared to humans, Orcs start out slightly better and ramp up REALLY fast (the 3rd Orc conversion is the money shot, I believe) but near end-game, unless you're extremely aggressive with Orc conversions, Humans will probably have more damage vs Orcs.

Of course, I'm not taking into account stuff like Class damage bonus (e.g Berserker). In that case you should probably go Orc.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:58 am

Good, I haven't been screwing everything up! Also, instead of Orc, go halfling. It's 80 points for 3 base damage!!!!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:02 am

I never thought about that. In a certain sense, that's actually better than Alpha orcs, who were "+2 damage for 100 points" but unlike Alpha Orcs, you can use the Potions for healing too, making it very flexible.

Hmm, if only we could make the Tri-sword much better for non-Halflings without sending Halflings through the roof.
TigerKnee

Postby q 3 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:18 am

You'd actually need 1000 conversion points for an Orc just to break even with a Trisword-wielding Halfling. It's not balanced very well, IMO. I still think the original Trisword (+26 damage only when inventory is otherwise empty) was the right idea - it just needed a minor tweak, like a slightly more obnoxious penalty, and it would have been perfect.
q 3

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:43 am

The problem with a tri-sword halfling is that you don't usually use the potions till the boss fight. So that tri-sword is wasted inventory space most of the dungeon run. With an orc, you gain the boost throughout the dungeon.

Orc vs Human:
Human gains less bonus early on, but it increases exponentially at an even faster rate than orc. By level 10, you are probably getting at least 5 damage boost per conversion.
Orcs gain a bigger bonus early on, but with a higher conversion threshold, it isn't fast enough to keep up, even with the stacking. So if you convert 6 times in a dungeon, you only average 3 base damage per conversion (with your natural damage % boost it's about 4 damage)
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:49 am

True, but for advanced strategies that last longer (CYDSTEPP for example) I never use hp potions.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 am

TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Yup, that's how it's done!

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons