Troubling Times pt 1

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Troubling Times pt 1

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:50 am

I'm begging to think 3 times is impossible... How did you manage as a rogue? Is it possible?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:13 am

I outlined my strategy here. From what I recall, GG's Absolution and getting high max mana were probably the most important elements. Whether it's still possible after the deity nerfs, I don't know, but then you have three more altars now than there were back then (+100 piety total, since Pactmaker gives +50) as well as elite items.

A couple more Gorgon curiosities. If you have lifesteal and kill a monster via death gaze, you will not recover any health. A death gaze kill leaves behind both a wall and a bloodpool; if you use the Earthmother's plantation boon, it will create a plant on top of the wall. Both plant and wall can still be interacted with (you can attack the plant or demolish the wall). If you use WEYTWUT on such a plant, your character will end up on top of the wall (but you can step right off the wall as long as there's an empty space next to it). Using knockback to slam a monster into the wall/plant will cause the monster to take wall damage, destroy the wall, and remove the plant (apparently without killing it, since Earthmother is not angered by its destruction).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:17 am

I have an idea! I use my warlord strategy with a rogue! Instead of scumming for GETINDARE, I'm scumming for CYDSTEPP!

EDIT: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Half-Dragon I used monk, berserker, and rogue

For Gorgon I used Warlord, Thief, and Rogue. I completed them all after the item and god nerfs too!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 am

The "death gaze kill = no retaliation" doesn't always work - sometimes a monster whose HP is below your death gaze threshold will be able to counter, sometimes it won't, and I can't quite figure out what the rule is (or whether this is some weird bug). It most often seems to fail with monsters that are the same level as the player. You can usually kill a monster of a higher (or lower) level without it counterattacking, provided its HP is below your death gaze threshold, but a monster of the same level will more often be able to counter before it dies.

Conversely, if you have strike priority over the monster, and your attack will bring its HP below your current death gaze threshold, death gaze will sometimes take effect and kill the monster before it can retaliate - even when its current HP is above the death gaze threshold.

If you kill the boss and then die or surrender, you'll still get badges even though you technically lost. I learned this at the same time I learned why a Gorgon should never convert her ENDISWAL, no matter how tempting it may be.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:40 am

OUCH! Yeah, converting ENDISWALL as a gorgon is like converting ENDISWALL as a transmuter. 99% of the time you shouldn't.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:54 am

I can't see how Monk on Dragon Isle is easy. You still need to scum for Halpmeh and Soul Orb minimum.

I didn't have Soul Orb and I got all the way up to the final boss before my resistance goes down into nothing and my Monk doesn't have enough punching power to last.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:59 am

Uh... Just use Taurog. I brought a sensation stone as an Orc, and I bought some elven boots to pump my magic res to 75%. First boss I crushed with tiles to spare. You can still regen fight the matron/use potions until your resistance goes under 20%, or whenever you can't effectively regen fight, then go protections.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 am

Is it necessary to scum for Cyddstepp on Naga City because of... gah, Bleaty?

Seriously, this is like the least satisfying unlock method ever.
TigerKnee

Postby q 3 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:55 am

You can use Binlor to reduce his resists by quite a bit - if you're lucky, he'll also spawn with Tower of Goo, Tormented One, and/or Lord Gobb and you can nerf their resists all at once. But yes, I agree that this is among the more tedious quests in the game so far (probably only surpassed by the last two Complicated Tasks and the Tower).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:19 pm

The 6 hardest quests are:
1. Gorgon unlock
2. Half-Dragon unlock
3. Tower
4. Complicated tasks part 6
5. Complicated tasks part 5

Also, I wouldn't switch to Binlor. As a rogue, you need JJ and CYDSTEPP. You will need to buy items, and Keg of Mana and Agnostics collar are great, but unnecessary. If you don't get those go for damage. Prep Avatar Symbol. Go into the dungeon about to level up (to level 8 hopefully). Kill the easiest of the bosses to level up, using potions when necessary. Start fighting the hardest of the 2 to melee, Goo takes highest, the Wraith, then SMM, etc., and use Chaos Avatar to refill your stats before you begin to use potions on the boss. Desecrate Binlor if you need a piety boost to get you enough piety for Chaos Avatar. Continue to fight and use potions until you get at a good amount of piety for last chance (60+). Then fight the hardest boss you can using last chance as a helper. Once you finish using your potions, desecrate an The Earthmother's Altar to reach 50 piety. Convert to TT. Use a transmutation seal on a boss trophy. Use tribute to get dodging and 100 piety, and then convert to GG. Hopefully you're on the last of the 9 bosses, or the remaining are easy ones with 444 hp. Fight it using a mid-fight level up if necessary, and SAVE YOUR PROTECTIONS. Because of his mana burn, fireball Kinisssch 4 times before using your CYDSTEPP hit, and then use protection to squesse fireballs out to crush his protections. Don't forget to pre-explore the arena so he can't heal while running. Desecrate MA, Taurog, Dracul, and use consensus to squeeze out fireballs to crush his protections. Don't forget that you can first strike him when he's out of protections. Above ground, you can also desecrate Binlor, EM, or Dracul to save them downstairs.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons