[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Boost Mana

Boost Mana

All things Desktop Dungeons

Boost Mana

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:48 am

Darvin

Re: Boost Mana

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:57 am

How about making it give you poison/mana immunity. Once off of course. Perhaps +2 health per level and... Ugh... mana isn't scaling. How about creating another glyph?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 am

If any deity is going to create glyphs, it should be Mystera.

Not a fan of your other suggestions. I don't think that boost health needs major changes; because a small non-scaling boost can allow you to survive one attack that would otherwise kill you, I don't think it needs to scale with levels. Similarly, poison/mana burn immunity is kinda random.

I think this boon should be improving max mana; we need boons like that. The problem is, as it exists right now, it's too good for people who can acquire more than 7 mana potions, which is child's play for thieves and gnomes.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:14 am

That will always be a problem as long as you're using potions to do it. Even if you don't use it'll still be a problem.

I think boost health should be stacking, as long as it uses a potion, cause then it'll either be too god at level 1 or to bad at level 10.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:56 am

Swap the costs: have the +MP boon destroy one health potion, and the +HP boon destroy one mana potion. Gnomes still really like the +MP boon, but now other races can take advantage of it without a keg of mana. (Also: it's even more chaotic that way.) Probably would need to reduce it back down to +2 MP, though; the +HP can stay the same, or perhaps change it to +2 or +3 bonus HP.

A big part of the reason why it's been so hard to balance +MP boons, in my opinion, is that Gnomes are far too powerful. Bump their conversion cost up to 90 or maybe even back to 100, and they're somewhat less likely to break the game. (That, or there aren't enough alternative ways of getting % based MP restoration; other than buying mana potions or a keg of mana, there's GG's Protection which is expensive if all you want is MP and was recently nerfed, and Mystera's restoration boon which is useless mid-fight. % HP restoration has a few more options, including Blood Swell, bloodpools, and the overheal effect [from lifesteal or Pactmaker]. Until Elves have a viable substitute for mana potions, or a reliable means of obtaining extra potions, Gnomes will nearly always be superior outside of a few peculiar strategies and/or classes.)
q 3

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:05 am

Actually, there's one major %-based mana restore that you've missed: leveling up. If you can set up a sufficiently long XP catapult (and Jehora isn't around to turn gnomes into spellcasting gods) the elf will still overtake the gnome. I find Paladins of Glowing Guardian and Bloodmages (which can run into HP issues with the gnome) also work nicely for elves. However, the gnome is definitely the superior race between the two in the vast majority of scenarios in the current version.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 am

100 points for 2 mana Elves supremacy!

Just kidding, but drop the conversion rate for Elves a bit!
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:50 am

2 mana for 110 sounds about right to me.
Darvin

Postby Gorgon on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:54 am

I don't think JJ is that overpowered, he just seems overpowered because he is the only god with the ability to easily boost your MP. Glowing Guardian requires 100 piety for 2 MP. Mystera raises enemy resistances (She would be useable if her Lower resists were not so expensive).

The cost for his mana/health boost should be lowered to 20+20. Boost mana should be +3 MP instead. Then you would need 4 mana potions and more piety to get 25 MP.

Of course, it would still benefit gnomes and halflings the most, but anything that deals with potions works best with halflings/gnomes.

And for elves, 1 MP for 60 CP would be nice.
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:34 pm

I personally like the suggestion of making boost mana need an hp potion. But Gorgon's solution sounds good too.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons