[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - How can I unlock gods/races?

How can I unlock gods/races?

All things Desktop Dungeons

How can I unlock gods/races?

Postby Normalguy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 am

I've gotten through the game enough to where I have beaten a few vicious dungeons and have some of the others unlocked, yet I haven't even gotten half the gods. The only gods I have unlocked are Dracul, Tiki, Taurog, and Glowing Guardian. How do I unlock the others? Also I've only ran into goblins so far, is there a specific thing I should do for orcs?
Normalguy

Re: How can I unlock gods/races?

Postby Fran on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Altough I have unlocked all gods, same situation here about the orc.

Usually, the gods and new classes / races have randomly spawned subdungeons you have to visit, just the same way you unlocked the other gods. Using a tinker (if you have unlocked him) you can see the number of subdungeons and repeatly restart until you get a random additional subdungeon which you can then check for an unlockable.

The question i'd want to know as well is if their appearence is locked to certain dungeons?
I restartet several dungeons several times this way with no sign of the orc or the transmuter this far, I don't really want to restart a dungeon anymore if i can't be sure that the subdungeon appears there.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Binlor and Orc west, JJ north, EM east, and Pactmaker anywhere.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm trying a minimal unlock playthrough and dear god Pactmaker is obnoxious. He shows up everywhere, and his subdungeon is worthless when you're not trying to unlock him - not even a single unrevealed tile.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:15 am

Back when Pactmaker was first introduced, most of his pacts were atrociously bad and were basically game-enders. On anything but the easiest dungeons you basically had to retire after touching his alter it was so nasty...

Still, it's not like Ying/Yang is much better.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Thank you, immediatly got Transmuter and Orc after going to the west :)
Fran

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:50 pm

gjaustin

Postby q 3 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:08 pm

That sounds about right, although with infinite time to spend tweaking them I'd be tempted to make a separate profile for every conceivable strategy: JJ, Mystera, and Tikki Tooki for fireball power; GG, Taurog, and Pactmaker for resistance; GG, Binlor, and Tikki Tooki for CYDSTEPP; etc. Then I could also selectively unlock items as well, and perhaps even skip some of the tier 3 classes to avoid their glyphs, which should nearly eliminate scumming - at the cost of having to maintain half a dozen save files, of course. Not even arguably worth it until the game is less in flux than it is at the moment.

Anyway, I have GG and Dracul unlocked already and was hoping to find Binlor, but with the loss of Blood Power, Dracul is indeed a lot less useful than Pactmaker would be. Pactmaker's pacts are fairly useless with just GG and Dracul since they're so stingy with piety, but given that Binlor refuses to appear I might still go with Pactmaker just for the free +50 piety in every dungeon. Incidentally, I'm starting to think that it's impossible to get Binlor (or Earthmother or JJ) without unlocking Taurog, Tikki Tooki, and/or Mystera; none of them have made a single appearance.
q 3

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Minor nitpick in your post. I wouldn't recommend Tikki Tooki for a CYDSTEPP setup. I assume you meant JJ instead, since TT harshly punishes use of death protection.

And yeah, Dracul makes sense as a choice. If I was unlocking 4 (so that the Crusade didn't feel left out), he'd be my fourth. I'd just hate to have to have to choose between Pactmaker or no Health Potions.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:15 pm

If you convert in to TT grab poison and convert out, it is DEFINITELY worth it...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons